Help with identifying a tree

Dave Remnant

Help with identifying a tree

Post by Dave Remnant »

Hi all

Can anyone help identify this tree that my wife fell in love with while we were on holiday in Cyprus.

It looks similar to a Albizia julibrissin but the flowers are orange/red and not pink and not "feathery".

I guess to your "expert eyes" this will be obvious, but I have struggled to find an answer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave
Attachments
Whole tree with coach for scale
Whole tree with coach for scale
Closer shot of branches
Closer shot of branches
Closer shot of leaves & flowers
Closer shot of leaves & flowers
Devonian Jungle

Re: Help with identifying a tree

Post by Devonian Jungle »

It looks like Delonix regia. Unfortunately it is not hardy at all in the UK and is strictly subtropical. Keeping it too cool (< 10C) will result in leaf drop. But the seeds are easy to grow, just file some of the seed coat off and soak overnight. In the morning plant it in some soil with bottom heat and it will grow quickly into an attractive houseplant.
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Yep its a Delonix regia. I brought some seed pods back from Tenerife a few years ago, dead easy to grow but difficult to overwinter even as a small seedling they tend to trop there leaves. I have seeds of both an orange and a yellow variety that i have not sown as they are not at all hardy..if anyone wants to try some drop me a line
becky

Post by becky »

thats lovelly, iv grow somethink like that from seed gary & nat do the leaves close up at night? its only a seedling at the moment , il have to post pics see if it can be identified,
Dave Remnant

Post by Dave Remnant »

Hello all

Thanks for replying and so quickly.

James - Thanks for the positive ID. My wife is very pleased to know what it is (as am I now I can stop her pestering to find out :D )

Gary (or do I call you chief troll?) - I would love to try some of those orange seeds (even as an indoor plant thats got to help in scoring some brownie points). Do I send you a PM?

Becky - I would like to see pictures of your when you post them so I see what to expect when growing over here (where do you have your plant growing?)

What did we do before the internet?