Flowering Protea on Ebay,easy to keep?

nicebutdim

Flowering Protea on Ebay,easy to keep?

Post by nicebutdim »

Just seen a protea in flower on Ebay and always wanted one,are they easy to keep,does anyone know.They don't need feeding according to Travena Cross"but we do sell protea food" this seems a contradiction.There is also a leucadendron by the same people and their is a protea too I believe.Any knowlegeable folks out there can advise me.
Ebay Item: 260191409809

sorry about the long Ebay address I am working on the short way to do it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

NBD you have sent a link to a jacaranda tree not a protea.

Proteas need poor soil thats not had any manure in it and they will survive outside with a bit of protection.

The feed that TravennaX sells is made just for proteas.

Bodders is our protea grower so he will be able to help you out far more than i can .
Ebay Item: 270189684615
bodster

Post by bodster »

Where are you nicebutdim? You need to be somewhere fairly mild to get proteas to flower as most are winter flowering. Mark is quite correct about the soil. I grow mine in an area thats basically rubble and sand left over from my extension. You might be better off with a neriifolia hybrid like pink ice rather than exima - its a lot more tollerant of soil conditions

Heres my pink ice flowering at the moment. I just took a pic to show you
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Mark wrote:NBD you have sent a link to a jacaranda tree not a protea.

Proteas need poor soil thats not had any manure in it and they will survive outside with a bit of protection.

The feed that TravennaX sells is made just for proteas.

Bodders is our protea grower so he will be able to help you out far more than i can .
[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Protea-eximia-approx-30-cm-tall-

plant_W0QQitemZ270189684615QQihZ017QQcateg

oryZ42356QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZView

Itemclick here[/url]
The proper link should have been Ebay Item: 260191368798 it is by the same seller ,the jacaranda was something else I am interested in. Your link came up as not available,misspelt etc, but the plant is not exima as mentioned in the address but is called firewheel.The question about food was ,if they do not need feeding why are they selling food.I am going to keep it in a greenhouse assuming I win the bid
bodster

Post by bodster »

ok thats a leucadendron you're bidding on. Its not hardy except in very sheltered coastal areas. You wont be able to keep it in a greenhouse as proteas hate heumidity. It needs to be kept in dry air