Gunerras - how best to divide

dave2166

Gunerras - how best to divide

Post by dave2166 »

a bit of advice from the more knowledgeable amongst you. i have two gunneras, both tinctoria i believe (as they have red stems??) which because i have been given permission to buy a greenhouse from the power that is the Mrs, i need to move. both are about 2 1/2 years old and have grown nicely to 1.5 to 2 foot across. i have already cut the leaves off cos they are moving come what may, but need to know if
1) each horizontal growth point can be cut off as a new plant
2) the woody bit in the middle is it good or is it compost??
3) reckon if i took each growth point as a new plant i could get at least 8 decent plants, do i need any root with it, like with bananas

all comments gratefully received but this weekend is D day, so to speak
Nick

Re: Gunerras - how best to divide

Post by Nick »

Dave I believe that you can cut it up into as many parts that have a growth point,and try to get as much root as you can, the more the better also you will need to keep them well watered for a spell..I hope this helps you, also my Gunerras have red stalks but it is the biggest one from Brazil I believe if the label was right.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum icon_salut

The growing points are buds on the rhizome so you can divide the rhizome without much fear of losing the plant. If you have already cut the leaves off there will not be too much water loss, but get some root to help speed things along. Having disturbed them this late in the season I would cover well this winter to keep frost free. Barring diasters they will both resume growth in the spring. Bear in mind they can get to 8 feet tall, by 10 ft diameter when full grown with enough water, and others in your area are complaining of too much water :lol: , and the leaves are rough to rub against. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dave2166 »

thanks guys

you've confirmed my thoughts, so its out there on Saturday with a sharp implement and away we go. if i end up with a few spares they will be free to good homes.

BTW, can some one confirm this confusion about manicata and tinctoria? is it purely the colour of the stems which distinguishes them, or are there sub species from differing parts of the world which give the size variations. mine were bought as manicata but are smaller than the one in bought as tinctoria and the stems are different. the manicata were in a bog garden area, so water was never in short supply.
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Gunnery takes over Clare island off the coast of Co Mayo in Ireland www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/research/claregunnera.htm This made the news here today the island is covered in it.With plants up to two meters tall and two meters in diameter :shock:
Chad

Post by Chad »

The distinction between the species is based on the inflorescnce, but visible in the leaves. The difference in the leaves needs you to have them both side by side though!

When they flower it is easy.

http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/Gunnera_t ... nicata.htm

Chad.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well this shows the Westcoast of Ireland has a very similair climate as the area arround Puerto Montt, Chile. And even the landscape under the gray sky. Looks like the bay south of Puerto Montt. Not a surprise G. tinctoria feels at home there! I Chili its very common in the wet Valdivian area.

I have heard you also get Phormium tenax seeding itself arround there. And Fuchsia magellanica. And even Dicksonia antarctica.

Alexander

rowin
irish dave wrote:Gunnery takes over Clare island off the coast of Co Mayo in Ireland www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/research/claregunnera.htm This made the news here today the island is covered in it.With plants up to two meters tall and two meters in diameter :shock:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

About dividing, best to do that in early spring.

Alexander
becky

Post by becky »

hi i hope you dont mind me asking a question on this topic but my nan has just called and she wanted to know if anyone had attempted to dry a gunnera flower before and if its possable :?: i said i wouldnt have thought so but i would ask anyway, she loves the orange seed colour :!:

thanks becky
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

POST SCRIPT

the deed is done, now got about 9 plants all bigger than youd get in a nursery, will prob keep 2 but will happily give away the other 7 to good homes, collection only or delivery to North West area a possiblity