Washingtonia robusta life history You Tube video

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Washingtonia robusta life history You Tube video

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi all, taken an absolute age to put this together, what with Microsoft Movie maker crashing at every available opportunity, then been trying to upload unsuccessfuly for 3 days...... but finally it is there icon_thumright http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW_hk7G4SfA
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Washingtonia robusta life history You Tube video

Post by Si »

That's amazing Dave, what a feat! to grow it into a thriving, fast growing, full hardy tree from seed and through that winter...respect! I thought Dorothy and the wicked witch were gonna blow off the roof at any minute :shock: icon_salut
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

thats great to see it go through all that and still be going strong!! its really motored the last 4 years or so. icon_thumright
John P

Post by John P »

Dave that video is quality, icon_compress I like the bit where the snow is blasting it and I am sure it will do well especially after surviving last winter.

John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks for the compliments icon_thumright
John P wrote:Dave that video is quality, icon_compress I like the bit where the snow is blasting it and I am sure it will do well especially after surviving last winter.

John
:lol: John, I didn't like the bit where the snow was blasting through the crown :lol: I thought it was a gonna :ahhh!: Just shows the resillience if you can get them to the right size :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bev »

that palm has deffo got survival instincts and keeps coming back better than ever! icon_thumright

cheers

lee
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

amazing growth rate on that washy and the temps it can stand icon_thumleft just lets hope it keeps getting through the winters but apart from that very impressive :D :D :D icon_thumleft
dk

Post by dk »

Nice video :P

Has it ever bloomed, and is it at all likely to? I wouldn't mind a few seeds from such a healthy strong specimen to try out myself...
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Glad to hear you have no real troubles with Washingtonia over there Dave.
A dismal failure here in the coastal PNW aside from a very select few locations.

Cheers, Barrie.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I thoroughly enjoyed watching that video, a fabulous life story, and certainly looks to have took a battering in the blizzards this last Winter. Appropriate soundtrack too.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

dk wrote:Nice video :P

Has it ever bloomed, and is it at all likely to? I wouldn't mind a few seeds from such a healthy strong specimen to try out myself...
Hi dk, no it has not bloomed yet,as it is still a tiddler..... they grow to 30m :lol:
Las Palmas Norte wrote:Glad to hear you have no real troubles with Washingtonia over there Dave.
A dismal failure here in the coastal PNW aside from a very select few locations.

Cheers, Barrie.
Have you lost yours then Barrie, I thought you had reasonable sized one that you boarded up with ply wood in winter. A shame if it's gone as it looked to be at a survivors size. :roll:

Also they are not generally hardy in the UK, my area is a microclimate, my back garden is a microclimate, within a microclimate, and it's position is a microclimate, within a microclimate, within a microclimate :roll: However as could be seen in the video, it has stuck it's head above the parapit now and will be blasted by cold NE winds
DiCasS wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed watching that video, a fabulous life story, and certainly looks to have took a battering in the blizzards this last Winter. Appropriate soundtrack too.

Di
Glad it was entertaining as well as informational. I can put a video together quite quickly, but the sound track is far,far more difficult to sort out. I normally try dozens of tracks before I get one that sems to click. Then Moviemaker does not have in depth audio editing so each section of music has to be cut to fit the space needed. If you need a change in volume that also needs to be cut, merged etc.

I had Pinnacle once which came as a freebie with a camcorder, but we lost the CD somehow and when my laptop was changed it was lost :roll: . That was so much more all singing and dancing :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Robin Cassell »

Top story that Dave...Enjoyed every second....cant wait for the follow up movie..'washie 2'..60ft washie flowers in Kent!..at the speed its shooting up that shouldnt be too far off! :DD :mrgreen: :DD
dk

Post by dk »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi dk, no it has not bloomed yet,as it is still a tiddler..... they grow to 30m :lol:
That's interesting, I was sure I read somewhere that Washies normally bloomed at a fairly young age, and judging by the size and age of your specimen I would have thought it done so already. If you'll have to wait 'til it reaches 30m then you're in for a long ride, I'm afraid icon_silent

Btw, and excuse me for drifting slightly off topic, but I know of a young W. Robusta that barely survived the horrible cold winter we had here in southwestern Norway in the Stavanger region. The temps dropped close to 9 below at its coldest, and this 4-5 year old palm survived in a big tub on a decking with little of protection from the cold winds. It did however loose all its leaves, but luckily showed signs of life early in the spring, and has since put out a few new fronds. The only downside is that it took such a big hit that I'm not sure the recovery cycle has been completed, or if it will take another exceptional cold winter in this state. I am however thrilled that this palm is a lot more hardy than you'd think, and that there's hope even for me this far north :mrgreen:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Hi Dave.

Thanks for putting this together in one video, looks really great. Mine is hard working to follow up yours and does also grow very very fast and it's still growing at the moment.

I'm curious how big it is in 5 to 10 years. :)

Robbin
eddie

Post by eddie »

Hi Dave !

Nice little movie ! icon_thumright

Especially the part in the blizzard, strange to see an exotic looking palm in the snow. I hope mine will survive as well

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas