Cordyline 'Sundance'

tropical-pete

Cordyline 'Sundance'

Post by tropical-pete » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:01 am

Hi all - just a quick question - does anyone know if this cordyling is hardy, or whether it needs to be kept frost free? Thanks

Pete

MarkD

Re: Cordyline 'Sundance'

Post by MarkD » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:33 am

We have a Cordyline Sundance planted out and has been fine so far, on it's third winter already, growing well :)

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:40 pm

My Cordyline 'Sundance' has been in the ground for five years. The first couple of years I tried protecting it by tying up the leaves and wrapping in fleece but it always looked tatty when unwrapped again so I haven't bothered with any protection for the last three years and it has been fine.
Andy

palmking

Post by palmking » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:01 pm

It certainly is here. Not quite as hardy as pure Australis and slower growing. I am sure I heard these have some Indivisa Parentage.It needs more free draining soil in my experience and did suffer a little burn damage last year. Doubt it will ever reach the 4.5 metres of my Pure Australis.

I don't protect any of my Cordylines though -

tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I have mine in the frost-free greenhouse at the moment (I bought it not so long back and it's just starting to form a trunk), but it's taking up valuable space so I might put it outside and just tie the leaves up together if a hard frost is forecast. Thanks again, take care

Pete

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:57 pm

Pete if you are worried about it getting too frosted place it under the canopy of other shrubs to keep radiation frosts off :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:37 pm

Ahhh - good idea Dave! I'll put it next to the house (to give it that extra little bit of protection) underneath the tree we have on one side, above the shed and everything else. Thanks, take care

Pete