Washingtonia Robustas 8" of snow = bad news! + garden pics!

Vic

Re: Washingtonia Robustas 8" of snow = bad news! + garden pics!

Post by Vic »

I know Nick, i kind of feel we deserve it though :) . Actually last summer was good in this part of the world, lower than average rainfull and good temps throughout generally, but another summer of 2006 would do very nicely thankyou.

Just looking out the window and the flakes are so big and the wind so stong its like there is a snowball fight going on!! :lol: It has barely stopped since 8am now
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

A record breaking summer? Well maybe a hot one or a record cold and rainy one...

Alexander
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Afternoon guys,

just been out to survey the front garden now the snow has thawed overnight.

The big Cordy head is almost hanging off :?

You can see the yellowish spear bent from the centre

The pheonix's look remarkably ok despite being totally buried for a while, although not as green as normal.

The flax you can see in the background, only a baby but looks ok i think.

he robustas - well not looking too good.

The back garden cordy which is a metre from the house, apart from a few snapped leaves looks good so far. The Mimosa has fell over with the winds last night.

TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

Not looking good Cordyman, the problem is most of the NorthWest excluding coastal areas went lower than -10C, my area possibly -15C . Cordylines , Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Washys and phormiums cannot take these lows. Ive been growing these plants for 18 years , i had -12 about 15years ago and lost a large Cordyline , phormiums collapsed . they were root hardy so started regrowing again by May., not sure this time though. ive never used fungicide before so this year might be a good idea , hopefully a few members will have some good advice on this.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Even coastal area went down to borderline cold levels, for the likes of Cordylines. At the height of the cold spell the average temperature even around the coastal area was around -9C... some parts of coast got down to -11C. Very impressive.. I was extremely lucky having only dropped to -7C. In fact it seems the extreme coast of Wirral and the south of the Wirral fared much worse than the central part of Heswall and Bebington which seems odd

As for the Cordylines they'll come back from either the current trunk or from the base. It may even grow from the growing point if treated correctly.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Cordi-man, sorry to see your Cordi looking so bad, Christ it's all happened so fast with yours, the palm that you said was not as green, just might come back ok but your Washingtonia's look to me as if they've had it, who knows they just might re shoot if your really lucky there, but time will tell

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

With the temperatures and snow described I suspect it would be easier to pay B&Q a visit in the spring!
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

[quote="Imran Khalid"]With the temperatures and snow described I suspect it would be easier to pay B&Q a visit in the spring![/quote

Buy 2 decent size Trachys instead and have some Washys in pots.
jezza

Post by jezza »

TOP BANANA wrote:
Exactly what i did.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

jezza wrote:
TOP BANANA wrote:
Exactly what i did.
Sounds like a jolly good idea

JH
derrick

Post by derrick »

My little washy still outside in corrugated shelter looks ok no brown leaves yet .Wont no intill later spring.I split a triple washy and 1 part is outside in 2nd shelter looks ok for now .Both only cost a fiver 2 years ago worth a shot.
tenchy

Post by tenchy »

well done mate, shows what differnt locations can do for the same plant
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cordilines can be tricky little blighters if you don't get it just right, that cordi in the photo was what happened to one of mine on a branch :( now I am only left with 4ft of trunk as the rest died off slowly plus with help from some disease :( :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny