A springlike day and a grand old Fatsia

stephenprudence

A springlike day and a grand old Fatsia

Post by stephenprudence »

Hi guys, I thought I'd post this just to take peoples mind off the damage somewhat.

I went for a walk today and it was beautiful, after all the cold and snow we've had it was really nice to be able to feel a mild breeze and the birds singing with their spring mating chorus.

I also took a few photos, first of the scene today over the River Dee and an old Fatsia japonica which seems oblivious to the cold.

The photo with my under the Fatsia canopy is actually me standing up straight, that shows how big it has become! Fatsia is a fantastic plant though and although maybe not regarded as a hardy tropical is can give a garden, or in this case a bit of greenspace a truly exotic look.
Attachments
P180110_11.410002.JPG
A few Trachys in the distance
A few Trachys in the distance
P180110_12.440001.JPG
P180110_12.440002.JPG
Conifers

Re: A springlike day and a grand old Fatsia

Post by Conifers »

Nice Fatsia, that one is old enough to have come through the much colder 1981/82 winter. But Fatsia is very hardy, so that wouldn't be surprising.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

My young Fatsia looks OK, as do mature specimens in the park, as per your photo stephen.
What struck me today was the Phormium Tenax has collapsed in the local Park. It could have been just the weight of snow since I thought these were good for minus 20c :?:
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

The tropics of The Wirral!
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

loveley looking fatsia..hope mine turn out that big..they seem to slow down after a fast start..did get good flowers this november though.
stephenprudence

I love seeing that Fatsia just because it's wild it has loads of space to grow -it actually is spewing out self sown seedlings all over the place, it will be interesting to see how big it gets over time.

Imran wouldn't say it's a tropical but it's interesting nevertheless (I assume you're fairly sceptical of Wirral's climate, if you are though you should come here and well, check it out for yourself, take a visit to Ness Gardens for example)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Imran Khalid wrote:The tropics of The Wirral!
I wouldn't class temps down to -10C as tropical! Brrrrr...

Fatsia japonica is hardy Stephen, to at least around -12C, I don't even consider them to be that exotic really as they are so common. You can easily encourage them to get tall quickly too, simply pull all the old leaves off the stems & leave only the current years flush. I do this every year to mine & it too is tall enough to stand under its canopy now & it was only planted as a tiny "pot plant" around 6-7 years ago... icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Nathan your all time record is only 2C warmer isn't it? -8C right? :lol:

In fact there's not many places in the UK (even coastal) that can claim to have an all time record higher than -8C which yes is not a tropical so I agree. I'd say -10C is fairly typical of coastal absolute minimum records.

As for the Fatsia - it's not in a garden. it hasn't been pinched just left to it, it's growing in a natural surrounding you see - thats why I find it interesting, because it's not growing in a garden.

I'm assuming you suggested I suggested it was an tropical/exotic which I didn't, in fact far from it, they're like weeds (literally) around here, although I do think in the right environment they can give an exotic look.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'm on about temperatures in this recent cold snap Stephen. -10C was recorded on the Wirral in the last couple of weeks, that doesn't equate to a very mild climate to me... :?

And the record low for the Wirral is -14C, record low for Southsea is -8.6C. The lowest here in this recent cold snap was -2.5C, that's 7.5C warmer :wink: , though of course it's still bloody cold in the winter here, never said it wasn't... The Scilly Isles are still cold in summer :lol:

Also isn't that Fatsia the same one you have posted pics of in the past? If so it was growing by a fence, the other side of someone's garden. Obviously has escaped the garden, or was planted by someone, it isn't "wild" as it isn't growing in the middle of nowhere & you cannot be sure that it wasn't actually planted...

Isles of Scilly (St Mary's) I believe has a record low of -7C & Plymouth's record low is -8C... There is also a reputed record low of +1C on Bishop's Rock, a tiny Scilly Isle, though not sure if that one is genuine :lol:
stephenprudence

Nathan, that's news to me that Wirral reported -10C in the spell although somewhere might have, there's no data suggesting -10C unless you know something I don't. There was a -9C in the extreme southeast of the peninsula in Cheshire where there also may have been a -10C. The lowest recordings on the true peninsula (Merseyside) was -8C in Moreton, Birkenhead and Bidston. The low this winter here is -7C, from a wind fetch from the southeast - not surprising given how north we are?

Indeed the record low for Wirral is -14C recorded in Bidston in 1981. The record low in Heswall is -10C also 1981, since I live in Heswall and not Bidston - that's the one that matters to me :wink:

Hilbre Island in Wirral has a record low of -7C so I'm not sure that demonstrates much other than the climate of the area is very varied based on topography and geographical location etc.

Yes that's the same Fatsia Nathan, of course it's not wild - I'm surprised you would even point that out :lol: It is however growing in the wild (wild in this instance being amongst wild native plants like Nettle etc). It may well have escaped or been planted but of course the reason for making this post is to show how nice it looks under the canopy and how well it is doing. If someone spotted a palm tree that had been planted in the same place it would be news wouldn't it, so give some people actually grow Fatsias it might be of interest to some people.

and well that bring to my last post because I can't handle it anymore to be honest.

Nathan you'll be happier now as I'm going to request for my account to be withdrawn. I can't handle a genuine good intentioned post being criticised every time I make it, I cant handle it, it's not why I posted this topic, and I not why I joined the forum.

So it's been good posting here I've enjoyed the good times, but it's time for me to go, I don't feel like I belong here now - this is genuine not a wind up, so thanks for having me..
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Err... ok then... :roll:

You pointed out in a post in this thread yourself that it was "wild", that is what I was refering to...

As for the -10C being recorded in the last two weeks on the Wirral, that is the figure I saw quoted from someone on a weather forum & it is only 2.8C colder than your lowest temp, so quite within the reals of possibility that it was indeed recorded. And I only mentioned this again as you mistakenly assumed I was talking of all time lows, when infact I was refering to lows in the recent cold snap...

This is a forum Stephen, not everyone has to agree with you, that is what forums are about, to talk about & debate subjects & before you throw your toys out of the pram were you not the one who actually admitted you started a thread & made many posts asking for peoples advice (which people gave) only toturn & say that you were "joking" ?? What sort of behaviour is that? (& what is the point?) To me that is simply trolling... But who knows you could still be winding us up now... :roll:
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

steph, You know where cheshire oaks is well there by the restaurant called Old Orleans there is nice sized one. i saw it when goin to the vue to watch Avatar
Last edited by davidjonesUK on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I'd think Fatsia is hardy down to more like -15°.

For absolute minima, the Northumbs coast is -7°, set in the 1981/82 winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ok, Ok, let's just Chill :roll:

Stephen, people disagree with me everytime I open my mouth. Best thing is don't let it get to you. Other people are entitled to have a different opinion.

Having said that , I understand your irritation at the topic being diverted on to minimum temps, rather than Spring, but remember it takes 2 to Tango.

I think we are all suffering from Garden deprivation :roll: so let's just try to hang in there for another 2/3 weeks until we get more spring like weather.

Temps not very spring like here but the Sun is rising icon_thumright
20100117 Back garden.jpg
Was very nice sitting on the lounge windowledge in the sun
201001118 Sunny Day.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by marie06 »

Dave, is that a red cordy in your photo? If so, how on earth did you get that to survive the recent freeze?