My Back Garden

Brian

My Back Garden

Post by Brian »

Right i thought it was about time i posted some pictures of my garden on here we moved into the house in 2007 and the garden was a mess so the first thing i done was cleared the weeds and levelled the soil to a gentle slope instead of the highs and lows that it was before
This was June 2008
Garden 1 15-06-08.jpg
Then in October i put in a kids play area garden
Garden 6 19-10-08.jpg
Garden 8 8-4-09.jpg
Then i built a pergola for my wife to hang her hammock on
Garden 14 18-10-09.JPG
Brian

Re: My Back Garden

Post by Brian »

The next thing i done was extended the kids garden
Garden 27 18-10-09.JPG
Then whilst my wife was out i snuck a small flower bed in the middle of the top half of the garden
Garden 42 23-10-09.JPG
Garden 43 02-11-09.JPG
And this is how my garden looks today its a bit of a mess because i am putting a new path in, hopefully it will look OK by summer :?
Garden 62 04-01-10.JPG
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

coming along nicely brian, you fill be able to fill that boarder on the left of the path this year any ideas what your putting in??
maybe some fast growing summer plants until palms and others grow!!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Isn't it great to look back over old photos and see how things have progressed over time?

Well done Brian :)
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

That's shaping up really well, Brian - well done.
Looks like a good-sized plot too - wish I had that much space :mrgreen:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

you and me both Pete.looks good now,can see the shape taking place.keep updating Brian,these stories make for good reading icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

looking good, just wish I had done that with my garden, taking a pictorial history.

Mix
bev

Post by bev »

there is a lot of work in a plot that size and you are making a good dent in it brian icon_thumright

i'll be interested to see how the planting alongside your path develops. i can see a few bamboos along the fence, or even both sides of the path. what do you have in mind?

i wish i had that sort of room!

cheers

lee
derrick

Post by derrick »

Good size garden lots of room to work with .Be good in time.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thank you for your kind words I only bought my first exotic plant in August 2008 and only got bitten by the bug in the summer 2009 so the garden is only really entering its second year this year I already have 3 Trachycarpus fortunei, 2 green 2 red and 1 variegated cordylines, phyllostachys humilis, phyllostachys Nigra, a 2 ft Dicksonia antarctica, a 4 ft Dicksonia antarctica, Japanese Maple, I also have ticking over in my indoor shed 3 Musa Basjoo's, Ensete maurellei, and a bird of paradise On my kitchen window sill i have 3 Colocasia burgundy stem, a T Rex from Carrol, 3 different Canna's i am starting from seed and i have 2 Sago palms that are in pots so they can come in for the next few winters And just to keep my wife happy because she thinks every thing i buy is green and boring there is over 500 bulbs across the garden including Lilly's, daffodils, tulips,hyacinths, irises and crocuses.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Update time :D I have now finished my path and put in all the flower beds in (well all my wife will let me get away with :lol:) I have also moved my black bamboo and sunk a large pot into the ground ready for my t-rex to go into
Attachments
GEDC0074.JPG
GEDC0078.JPG
GEDC0081.JPG
GEDC0095.JPG
Brian

Post by Brian »

GEDC0077.JPG
I am also glad to say my green Cordy has come through undamaged shame i can't say the same for my variegated and red Cordy's
GEDC0099.JPG
My T fortunei has now been in for a year and a half so hopefully that will start to take off this year
GEDC0104.JPG
And whilst i was out in the garden i noticed my bamboo has kicked into growth :D
GEDC0101.JPG
I think the next job now is going to be sorting out the mud patch that is my lawn
kata

Post by kata »

Great job Bri!

Also clocked that Maple.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Brian did you grow your bird of paradise from seed if you did please tell me how you did it im on my second batch now and i just can't seem to get them to germinate. i have followed the instructions but nothing :( I think these plants are amazing even if they can take up to 5 years to flower. I am using my electric propagator as a heat source. Do you think chipping the seed would help like you do when growing canna's?

Your garden is lovely by the way brian your progress truly stands out it really does look lovely and most of all has that tropical feel to it. WELL DONE icon_thumright
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi sanatic1234 I cheated with my bird of paradise my wife bought me a ready to flower plant for my birthday, i have only really started growing from seed this year so its all new to me to :wink: