Schefflera delavayi

countrylover

Schefflera delavayi

Post by countrylover »

Hi
So does anyone grow this plant or know where to get one? Apparently it is hardy down to -15 C.
grub

Re: Schefflera delavayi

Post by grub »

Mine came from here www.hardyexotics.co.uk
Chad

Post by Chad »

Hardy Exotics are, I think the only UK supplier. They had it from the late and great Edward Needham, and their plant under cover set seed, all the stock is seed grown. And it hasn't flowered again!

Mine died at -9C last winter.

There are others about that were not from that introduction. Neil Armstrong has several at Tremenheere. His have leaflets with an entire edge [Edward's form has a slight indentation]. The most dramatic form is known as The oak leaved form; but I haven't seen this one in the flesh.

Chad.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I got 2 last autumn, labelled Schefflera aff. delavayi. They are quite small and I'm not yet entirely sure whether they are really S delavayi or not. I got them from Glendoick Gardens near Perth.
I don't think hardy to -15C is right for delavayi though - not that reliably hardy I don't think (which would tend to be borne out by Chad's experiences).
Pete
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I have 2 here that came from Glendoick gardens a couple of years back & they both took -11.5c here last winter without any apparent damage & they were only about 18"(45cms)tall & in pots as well.They have showed no frost damage this winter at all,despite being frozen solid for about 10days,only damage I get is from slugs.

I also have a Schefflera macrophylla & that got totally trashed at -11.5c last winter.Only just recovered during the summer,this year it went undercover for the winter.I'll most likely get a new one this summer,despite the £110 price tag,nice plant,just not as hardy as claimed.

I also want to get a Schefflera taiwaniana & a Manihot grahamii,but the only place I've found one is in the US.

metalhammer.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Sorry Countrylove - can't help with the Schefflera.

MH, if you are into growing your own, it might be worth keeping your eye out on E-bay, on one or two occasions I have seen Manihot seeds, they do pop up occasionally and am sure the seller is from the US, but can't remember the user name though, sorry.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

A nursery called 'Himalayan Gardens' does the variegated Manihot, also Amulree had a few in last year, I seem to remember Petefree getting one from them.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Nigel Fear wrote:A nursery called 'Himalayan Gardens' does the variegated Manihot, also Amulree had a few in last year, I seem to remember Petefree getting one from them.
I did indeed, Nigel - as did a few others. The variegated Manihot is a variety of M esculenta though, which is not hardy, whereas M grahamii is "hardyish" and several people had them come through last winter outside unscathed.
My variegated manihot is in the greenhouse for winter.
My M grahamii is planted out and unprotected - I'm just hoping it will reshoot in the spring.
Whilst both are nice plants - IMO the leaf form of M grahamii is much more attractive than M esculenta (even with its variegation).
Pete
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Have noticed they sell the seeds for Manihot grahamii (carthaginensis) at Plant World Seeds.com. Mine has been out all Winter in the ground with a draped fleece for protection on occasions. I've noticed there's a bit of dieback on the side shoots but the main trunk looks fine and can see the first signs of swelling above the old leaf stems. Hopefully it should come through Winter okay.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

This should sort you out for the manihot seedshttp://cgi.ebay.com/MANIHOT-TAPIOCA-Tre ... 414ccf2e10
They've proved themselves to be hardy here for me last winter,and are looking good for this years too.Mines had a bit of die back,but this happens even if you overwinter them in the greenhouse.
This is one of my plants that got planted out last year
DSC00446.JPG
Got quite a bit bigger by the time the frosts hit it