Colocasia

metalhammer

Re: Colocasia

Post by metalhammer »

Tried Wilkinsons website earlier,just got 'no matches found'.

The only ethnics we got round here are cackers or more commonly known as 'pikeys'.

metalhammer.
weve

Post by weve »

MH
Its eddoes we're talking about. isn't it? (pardon my ignorance on this subject!) But it is said here that Tescos have been stocking them.
weve
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Not in Fleets bridge one in Poole & I go in every Thursday night to do the shopping & that's a Tesco extra,big place.I'll go in the one at Tower Park,that's bloody huge,one night & have a look in the green grocery section in there.

I have checked at the local supermarkets,Tesco,Sainsbury,Asda & Waitrose,but never found them in any.We don't have a big ethnic population around here,so I guess there would be very little demand.

metalhammer.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Colocasia Wilko's Mammoth

Post by Dave Brown »

Were,These are a form of Colocasia esculenta, but are not eddores these are much more spherical, very similar to Jack's Giant. The Wilkco's Mammoth has not mushed at all in my garden, where as eddoes mush badly although some do survive. The Mammoth hads a pinky lower leaf stem and pinky roots. Eddoes and Jack's Giant have while roots. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Found a pic of the comparison.

The bottom and top right clumps are the Wilcos mammoth with pinky stems and pink roots. By contrast, the Eddoes are at the top leftish, are much smaller, whiter flesh with green around the edge, The roots are white also :wink:
20091220 C Mammoth lifting 02.jpg
This is nthe largest Rhizome when split up icon_thumright
20100121 C Mammoth rhizome 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Ian Cooke »

I cannot believe that with a chain as large as Wilko's, individual stores will have any options in what they supply. There will be a major supplier or two, probably from overseas, who will supply a whole range of bulbs. What this will include was probably decided 6 months or so ago when the contract was settled. If colocasias didn't sell last year, they won't be stocked this year - simple as that!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ian, The stores are greatly differing in size, so they don't all stock the same products. My local Wilcos is a town centre one and is restricted on space. When others were having a bonanza with Dicksonia antarctica Treeferns @£10 per foot, mine did not stock then. :(

These Colocasia must be readily available from somewhere, but it is a question of finding out which one it is.. My local garden centre has some just labeled 'Colocasia' that look similar. They are just in wooden boxes with no picture or anything. Not really going to sell them like that unless people know what they are looking for. These were £4.99 each.

The size of the rhizome is not that important when it comes to leaf and plant size, in fact the smallish rhizome seem to have the most vigorous plants. The biggest are probably of flowering size, and they produce flowers at the expense of leaf size. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

MH, if your still struggling to get these mate gives us a shout i've got an Ethnic store just round the corner from me that sell them by the kilo (about 6-8 tuburs) , tried out a couple of kilo's last and had a good success rate maybe lost 5 that rotted but that was probably me over watering, bought a few other larger tuburs as well to try and the came up with lovely big leaves

give us a shout mate, could alway's meet you half way dare i say some where near Southampton (that hurt spelling that :lol: )

Or if you want to run down here i'l meet you and show you the place

Leigh
Leigh
philip

Post by philip »

hi go to aldershot in hants they have lorry loads of them thanks to the gurka population icon_cheers
derrick

Post by derrick »

When is the best time to start the tubers .There in the shed and loft .Some are last year and some new . I lost some in shed due to leak.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Last year i had 4 types from halal hello shop .There so cheap you could replace every summer.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

If anybody is looking for these up North, Leeds Markets have them for sale on at least 3 stalls 7 days a week.
bev

Post by bev »

they had them in hilliers g/c in hemel hempstead today, about the size of a cantaloupe melon but £6.99 a pop was a bit rich for me!

cheers

lee
simon

Post by simon »

The trouble is Lee, the bigger the corm, the more they charge but you don't get a bigger or better plant from a bigger corm.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thats it some of the large eddoes they charge in kilos in a shop near me .Some are about 4 kilo like a melon .Its easy just to take handfull of small eddoes for a couple of squid. I have some large eddoes in the loft just to see how they go .