Washingtonia trimming is a dangerous business

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Washingtonia trimming is a dangerous business

Post by Dave Brown »

I came across THIS as related to my Washingtonia Youtube vid.

At first I wondered how a guy became trapped under the skirt of leaves when the palm was trimmed from the top. Then a comment from someone involved in a palm trapping rescue explained that the skirt of leaves becomes detached from the trunk but rest on the leaves below matted together. As the trimmer moves their way up the trunk from below at some point the whole skirt slides down the trunk enveloping the trimmer :shock: This guy was saved but it appears it is a common occurance when inexperienced people tackle completely skirted palms. Another video has a comment saying another trapee died.

My Washingtonia draws blood every time I even think about trimming, can't imagine a whole trunk load falling on you :ahhh!:

I'll bear this in mind when trimming mine :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Washingtonia trimming is a dangerous business

Post by bev »

:lol: back to mowing the lawn for him
Si

Post by Si »

:shock: just shows you, leave 'e on...the dead leaves (petticoat) are a feature over in So Cal.
btw...How's your Washy doin Dave? it's been way worse that last winter...that's for sure!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I must admit I have seen W.r 20m or so tall with petticoats to the ground. Think of the unsupported weight if you remove the lower section. :ahhh!: If you were under there and it came down you'd be registered as a missing person.

I'll take a pic of mine today and update the Washingtonia topic later. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

Christ Dave that is a dangerous job that trimming lark, I know my one always got me when ever I had anything to do with it or around it, and it dam hurts as well, it don't mess around never it will take chunks out of your skin in a split second, I bet he was in pain after he got free, poor man, bet he don't do that again :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

icon_sunny icon_sunny