planting out acacia delbatia

parkeey

planting out acacia delbatia

Post by parkeey »

is it too early to plant out acicia delbata, i just got a 15ltr... its in the conservatory as i dont trust the weather lol
bev

Re: planting out acacia delbatia

Post by bev »

you should be o.k now, but to be on the safe side you could wait another couple of weeks. mine is not that big, about 11 feet only planted out last year but seems to have survived o.k. i lost a bigger one last winter, not sure that it took a lower temperature, but 3 days of hoar frost burnt all the leaves so i pulled it out. i can't see that happening now, but with the weather the way it is, who knows?

cheers

lee
bev

Post by bev »

you might want to move this topic to the main exotics forum, it will be seen by more people!

lee
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

opps not sure how u move it ..
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

parkeey wrote:opps not sure how u move it ..
You can't, but I have for you. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by metalhammer »

A word of warning considering Acacia dealbata.A work mate at a previous employer planted an Acacia dealbata in his garden,10years later it cost him £550 to have it taken down,it was 52 feet tall,had a spread of 25 feet & the trunk was 17" in diameter.Just think of it,it casts quite a lot of shade & is fairly shallow rooted,Mike said he couldn't grow anything with in 20 feet of it because the ground was so dry.

It's a fine plant if you have the room.

I made a similar mistake with Euclayptus nitens,9 years after planting it was 46 feet tall,18 feet across & had a trunk of 15" in diameter,cost me £150 to have it removed.

metalhammer.
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

good job i have a chainsaw then :D ! haha wow it must be a real fast grower... well if i prune it every few seasons i think id be managable.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I have a three of them, and am considering taking one of them out, though might leave it another year yet, I agree with Metalhammer about the rate at which they grow, the oldest one is around 6 years old, and its massive, the trunk was as thick as my finger when planted, its now as thick as my waist!

They are lovely trees though and if you have the room for one with a mild climate go for it. You can of course lop them down to a manageable size and keep them more bushy in habit.
Attachments
tree (600 x 450).jpg
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

One other thing,what sort of low temperature do you get during the winter?.Last year a large one near here was killed at -11c.This one was over 40' tall.

metalhammer.
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

ok kent so doubt get that cold, cor freezin!!

oh dear i think i need a bigger garden lol
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Try Acacia pravissima,a much more restrained plant,gives a fantastic show every spring,mine has survived everything the weather can chuck at it.You'll need to train a leader up as it likes to flop,but a brilliant all round plant without the problems of size with dealbata

metalhammer.
Vic

Post by Vic »

parkeey wrote:ok kent so doubt get that cold, cor freezin!!

oh dear i think i need a bigger garden lol
Depends where you are in Kent and what sort of microclimate you have? I have failed getting dealbata established, and i have tried a couple of times now. It will get damaged at around -6 or -7c unless you have protection from the wind, even then expect damage when small.

I will not bother with dealbata again.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

One you could try if space is limited is Acacia boormanii,it's reasonably hardy & isn't going to get big.Will need careful siting so it can benefit from shelter.

I have a plant of Acacia dealbata 'Gaulois Astier',this is a grafted French form,flowers very early,but got terribly burnt at -6c with a strong easterly wind.I have no idea how big this one grows as it's a grafted plant,ultimate size will depend on what root stock has been used.

metalhammer.
bev

Post by bev »

they had dealbata 'argentea' in a big garden centre near me, but no info on the net although they do list another acacia with argentia name. i wonder if this is the hardier one that was mentioned a while back?

cheers

lee
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Never heard of that one.No Acacia is going to be really hardy.My Acacia pravissima has taken a low of -10c here about 5 or 6 years back,took -9c last winter & has come through well.But a number of dealbata's on journey to work have succumbed this winter,I guess they were damaged last winter,never really recovered during our rather indifferent summer & the prolonged cold this winter has finished them.

metalhammer.