Alocasias out for first spring airing ;-)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasias out for first spring airing ;-)

Post by Dave Brown »

Simon, I have all my Alocasia in well drained compost as they are like Colocasia in a way, in that they can tolerate almost sitting in water if 30C+ but need to be much drier as temps cool, and when they cool there is no evaporation and the plant doesn't use it so drainage is the only way to shed the moisture.

My consevatory went down to about 5C this winter, but I have a dehumidifier that keeps the moisure levels down. Cold, wet, and no air movement is the killer. I did lose one up in the poly exactly as you say, but that went down to -1.9C before I rigged the fan heater up there.

I grow Alocasia, except macrorrhiza, in shade as they can tolerate deep shade, but suffer sunburn, particularly calidora, and provided they get 15 to 25C they are happy. I use a combination of half strength Wiko Wonder gro (similar to Miracle gro but a quarter of the price) half strength Miracle gro lawn feed (high nitrogen without weed) This is added to every watering.... about twice a week. Also Maxicrop growth enhancer is added once a month.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave where can i buy one of these at a good price and are these fast growers? i really like these. yours looks awesome. leafs are huge!
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

cheers dave ill definately invest in some maxi crop...seems to do wonders
no limit palms

Post by no limit palms »

no worries sat as soon as they come i will get some pics on here.for prices look on vale exotics i cant remember exactly they were between 5.95 and 19.50.dave your right they are a type of amazonica the polly and not cold tolerent but they were cheap and its just a bit of experiment really they look good at mo but if they go the other way i might lift them.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys.Really like the look of those and would love to try some for the first time this year. Any suggestions for vars that are more cold tolerant for the beginner? Nige.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Calidora is the obvious one that springs to mind Nige,stays green all winter in a coldish greenhouse.So well worth getting one.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

A portadora, or portdora is another good one in cool conditions. I got mine form Amulree last year, It is the wavey edged leaf one on the left of my pic. Was planted out in June and trebled in size over summer. Lifted it late October. A. portadora leaves were over 2m length at Wisley icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

I must try to feed mine more often Dave. Maybe that is the answer.

By the way, the correct spellings are portodora and portora. It is a cross between portii and odora so the names are an amalgamation of those.
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Adam D wrote: I love the "var Kentgardener", lol!
Fame at last. icon_cheers :lol:
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Dave Brown wrote:Temps rose to a sunny 15.8C at the North facing front, and 18.6C in the sheltered south facing back, so took the opportunity to get the Alocasias out for an airing and a shower to freshen up. Normally do this is Feb but thye winter just kept going even to 13th March.

So good to see them out in the open icon_thumright Didn't leave them out for too long as they scorch in the sun..... grow much better in the shade :wink:

Left is Alocasia portadora, and right Alocasia calidora Var Kentgardener
Hi Dave where do you overwinter them? they have come through really well icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

CW01 wrote: Hi Dave where do you overwinter them? they have come through really well icon_thumright
They are overwintered in the converatory which is heated to about 6C, but are kept dry for most of the time. The big A calidora starts to wilt when it needs a little water.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Bob »

Winter heating seems to be the key then Dave, mine in an unheated greenhouse look a million miles away.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alocasia from a dormant rhizome in the UK take forever to reach a reasonable size. In a US summer they get big, but not here. You have to keep them going for 2 or 3 years. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright