Rudbeckia - Goldstrum

sanatic1234

Rudbeckia - Goldstrum

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi i just put eight seeds into a pot about 2 weeks ago and every seed has germinated and these goldstrums grow even quicker than the cherry brandy's. What a result. :lol:
Mick C

Re: Rudbeckia - Goldstrum

Post by Mick C »

A much under-rated plant in my book sanatic, good luck with them.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Why is that Mick C? fair enough they aren't tropical as such but they will easily fit in with the tropical theme lovely colour nice foilage. and are hardy. Also got a merit award from RHS. SO not a bad plant really. but everybody is different. :)
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

What I meant was, they look a bit like big daisies. A few years ago I would not have bothered with them or for that matter dahlias, for the same reason.

Now I like them both because they have bold bright and uncomplicated flowers. Easy to grow and seem to work well with foliage plants.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't grow Goldstrum as it is too yellow. I grow the more rustic yellow/orange colours instead. I have a packet of dwarf to sow, when I get around to it :wink:

This is a self sown Rudbeckia last year. Was a bit too tall so needed to be staked, hence the dwarf ones.
060809 Rudbeckia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

sorry mick c i miss understood you. :oops:
I don't think you see enogh gardens with them to be honest. I think they really set a garden off and it is nice to have bright colourin your garden still in early october.

Dave - I love that batch in your photo. the colour is spot on for a tropical theme. I do agree with you totally on the height as my cherry brandy had very tall stems. I haven't seen many dwarf versions to behonest post a pic please dave when you get some sown. I would love to have a look at them. :)
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i have a couple of ligularias a large red leaf one and a large green leaf on and they look geat imo.
Attachments
phpXQl6jQAM.jpg
phpXQl6jQAM.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
phpxDO7AbAM.jpg
phpxDO7AbAM.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Whats the name of the Red leafed one, Rob,
I read they don't mind a bit of shade :?:
Leigh
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote: Dave - I love that batch in your photo. the colour is spot on for a tropical theme. I do agree with you totally on the height as my cherry brandy had very tall stems. I haven't seen many dwarf versions to behonest post a pic please dave when you get some sown. I would love to have a look at them. :)
I don't have pics of the plants as i have not sown them yet :roll: Must do this over Easter..... mind you with the weather forecast may not be able to do much else :(

This is the pic of the seed pack. Same colour but shorter plants icon_thumright Says on the back of the packet 'Rudbeckia hirta'
Attachments
20100331 Rudbeckia Rustic dwarf seed pack.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Neil »

Hello Rob, what is the name of the large green Ligularia's? Thanks, neil. :D
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Neil wrote:Hello Rob, what is the name of the large green Ligularia's? Thanks, neil. :D

Could be 'Rocket' .... tall yellow flower spikes .... I have a couple which are just starting to regrow in the last week.

Laz
Nick R

Post by Nick R »

I read that you tried Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' Sanatic, did they turn out as good flowering plants? I'm just curious as I've recently sown a packet of them in the greenhouse, at the weekend, so I'm anticipating them germinating!! (I ordered loads of different seeds, forgetting that I collected a whole bunch from virtually every type of plant in our garden last year!! :D the idea was to collect my own to save ordering more, but I couldn't help it!)

Nick :)

(with regard to the Ligularias, what conditions would they do well in?, as they look like great plants)
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

just checked the red on is denata brit marie crawford..
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Cheers Rob icon_salut
Leigh
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nick R wrote:I read that you tried Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' Sanatic, did they turn out as good flowering plants? I'm just curious as I've recently sown a packet of them in the greenhouse, at the weekend, so I'm anticipating them germinating!! (I ordered loads of different seeds, forgetting that I collected a whole bunch from virtually every type of plant in our garden last year!! :D the idea was to collect my own to save ordering more, but I couldn't help it!) Nick :) (with regard to the Ligularias, what conditions would they do well in?, as they look like great plants)

They are very good nick! I have always sown mine from seed give them plenty of sunlight and water every 3 days. they never let me down and they also flower in the first year. Once they grow there is no stopping them only when it gets too cold. I have some in my garden now. I honestly thought they might of been a gonna this year after the winter we had. But checked them today and there are new shoots on every one of them. So I am going to say that they are extremely hardy. Good luck with your seeds mate. Let me know your outcome. :)