Dave Brown wrote:
dave2166 wrote: i did however have 2 bankers in the greenhouse,
That was a BONUS then :lol: :lol: :lol:
BOOM BOOM...... :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Beschorneria Yuccoides

Post by Dave Brown »

That is a bit of a tall order then for outside planting. Drainage we can do something about but keeping the rain and snow off for a whole season.... not so easy. From what others have said they are fast growers in the summer so hopefully will grow out the damage quite quickly.

As I said earlier I think I planted mine in the wrong place given the size they grow, I'll see if I can find a place more suitable for it to spread. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

has anyone a sure way of telling these apart from furcraea?
i was feeling the leaves at cgf,the beschorneria seemed to have smoother softer feel to it without the 'roughness' to the edges?
i bought a furcraea there and had it suggested may be a beschorneria.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

When they flower.I got caught years ago at Burncoose Nurseries,bought a Beshorneria yuccoides & when it flowered,it was a Furcraea.

metalhammer.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Up until this winter mine have regularly taken -8c during winter & last winter took -11c,with no damage other than a bit of tip burn.

metalhammer.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Curious to know how many of these survived beyond Dec 10. Got my eye on a big one priced at £40 but not really sure if it's hardy enough.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

JoelR wrote:Curious to know how many of these survived beyond Dec 10. Got my eye on a big one priced at £40 but not really sure if it's hardy enough.
Got quite a few here Joel and they've done just fine. One that did get damaged in "that horrible winter" has now grown back as a multi head.
This winter's been a doddle to -6.7 deg icon_thumleft
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Dead as a dodo after 2010/11 after 10 years, 3 or 4 flowerings and many offsets being produced :(
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I have a Beschorneria septentrionalis that's pushing out a flower stem at the moment, I only noticed about 3 weeks back when it was a couple of inches long, it seems to be going at a fair old rate of knots now, at around 2ft.

I'll probably hoick it out after that, rather than watch it die back, and prop up what ever pups might emerge from it, I hadn't expected it to flower so soon, I don't know if I ought to be pleased or not that it's flowering. icon_scratch
Springy

Post by Springy »

Nigel Fear wrote:I have a Beschorneria septentrionalis that's pushing out a flower stem at the moment, I only noticed about 3 weeks back when it was a couple of inches long, it seems to be going at a fair old rate of knots now, at around 2ft.

I'll probably hoick it out after that, rather than watch it die back, and prop up what ever pups might emerge from it, I hadn't expected it to flower so soon, I don't know if I ought to be pleased or not that it's flowering. icon_scratch
My septentrionalis is coming into flower too. It has got minimal winter damage after last winter and was the same in the two bad winters before but my yuccoides was killed back to the roots again this year as it was the two winters before that!
So septentrionalis is much hardier for me and has survived a dip of -12c still in leaf!!
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Springy wrote:
Nigel Fear wrote:I have a Beschorneria septentrionalis that's pushing out a flower stem at the moment, I only noticed about 3 weeks back when it was a couple of inches long, it seems to be going at a fair old rate of knots now, at around 2ft.

My septentrionalis is coming into flower too. It has got minimal winter damage after last winter and was the same in the two bad winters before but my yuccoides was killed back to the roots again this year as it was the two winters before that!
So septentrionalis is much hardier for me and has survived a dip of -12c still in leaf!!
That confirms what I was reading about B. septentrionalis earlier in the Gary & Mary Irish Agave/Yuccas book. They're supposed to be polycarpic (not dead after flowering) Nigel so don't give up on it.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

The flowering rosette dies after flowering, but offsets are produced much like most Agave and Musa.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Same as everyone else really, septentrionalis came through that horrid winter, battered but alive, whereas the yuccoides got crushed, never to be seen again. I do want a yuccoides again, I love the foliage on this one, and am waiting to see if they have them at our local sheds this year.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

All of my Beschornerias survived last Winter. Admittedly two had a roof cover from Rain/Snow. I have Septentrionalis in the ground unprotected, a hybrid Septentrionalis/Yuccoides and a Yuccoides Quicksilver multi-trunked also. I have found that once you develop "woody" stems they resprout new shoots from the wood when all the foliage is shrivelled up. Heres a recent picture of my Yuccoides Quicksilver now full recovered after being defoliated in the December '10 freeze despite being under a Corolux cover.
7-5-12 055_t.jpg
The hybrid was totally unfased by the two week cold spell I had but being relatively dry also helped
7-5-12 035_t.jpg
I chickened out with Tubiflora and repotted it to get more size but this species didn't last long in the '10 freeze.
7-5-12 063_t.jpg
:D
derrick

Post by derrick »

Ive had this one for 2years seems hardy
Attachments
DSCF2277.JPG