We're off to cornwall

cai williams

We're off to cornwall

Post by cai williams »

Were off to cornwall in the summer and i was hoping somebody could come up with some suggestions as to where best to look for palms icon_study
dave2166

Re: We're off to cornwall

Post by dave2166 »

have a good time first of all,

i've been doing 'raids' on the cornish nurseries and gardens for about 5 years now, and love every minute of it

you could try looking at here first

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 426758&z=7

there is also a places to visit section on the forum too

palm wise, trevena cross is a fave i think

there is also a nursery on the way into Padstow i think which I've not visited but always seems to have loads of palms from memory
smurnan

Post by smurnan »

Hardy Exotics just north of Penzance is worth a look.
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

absolutely Steve, well worth a good look as you can find little gems in those tunnels , give yourself a good hour for that one, and have an empty car... :lol: :lol:

then you can nip back up to trevena Cross, and do lower kenneggy on the way, he's got a nice succulents house too..

Duchy of Cornwall at Lostwithiel is not bad either, usually stuffed the car full there in the past, handy as we had friends in the village too so could make multiple trips
Rich

Post by Rich »

Have fun in Cornwall!

As a kid, I always used to go on holiday there every year in the summer. Great county. I only live next door (Devon) but the two counties couldn't be any more different! There really is something unique about Cornwall, it has that summery holiday atmosphere about it.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay, may I suggest Haven's Perran Sands nr. Perranporth. It's a family holiday park catering for caravans, tents, static caravan rentals and also apartments. Excellent setting too, and great for the kids.

Link:
http://www.haven.com/parks/devon_cornwa ... index.aspx

Rich
becky

Post by becky »

I'm glad this topic came up , because we too are going to Cornwall, in the summer icon_thumleft and we already have plans to go to Eden again , which is a fantastic day out, we went a month or so again and they given us tickets for free return, so we will definitely be going again icon_thumleft
if you go before us cai, can you let us know where's best to go around Cornwall icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ditto the haven site Rich,spent many weeks there. for palms trevena cross nr penzance had the best selection we saw last week.you wont find many at burncoose,hardy exotics or lower kineggy.most of the other nurseries seem to cater more for the plants side of things. you do find trachies and chams etc. phoenix canariensis is everywhere too. i havent been to the one near padstow,hadnt heard of it so will be in touch Dave :wink: :wink:
pine lodge near eden project had some nice waggies for 35 quid.if you want a little jubaea or Trachycarpus princeps,go and visit jan methorst in st columb.
if deb and i can be of any help with directions etc,please feel free to ask.loads of places to go and visit,lots of plants/exotics to buy,just depends what you are looking for really and your budget of course icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
becky

Post by becky »

oh no , these places sound great, think we should take a trailer too :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

next time we go Bex,im using a roof box for the luggage,wont have to worry about fitting everything in.
my best advice to Cai would be visit trevena first and have a good browse.then do lower keneggy for the first purchases.once you have plenty of goodies,and there are loads there at very good prices,(i wont say cheap because it makes the plants sound inferior which they are not)
you will know how much room is left for the bigger stuff down the road.hardy exotics is on the main A30 on the way in,all 3 places are within 5 minutes of each other so a must go area. cross common down the lizard is worth a nose too but not much palm wise.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Whichever gardens you visit and there are plenty, if you want a quiet walk around a splendid garden try Tregrehan in St Austell. A lovely victorian greenhouse, a fab yew walk and some real plant beauties. Tom Hudson is a friendly chap and very knowledgable about New Zealand plants as it's where he's from.
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Carol

have you been to Trewidden Nursery, cant be a million miles from you,

saw the sign last year when we were off to The Minack, (surely one of the best places in the world to watch the world go by), but SWMBO wouldnt let me stop :(
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

what does swmbo stand for dave?? you refer to your wife,if its too rude a pm would suffice :lol: :lol:
weve

Post by weve »

Red,
swmbo="She who must be obeyed" , in my understanding anyway :) (wasn't it used alot in "Rumpole of the Bailey" ?????).

Altho' the possibilities are endless........but lets not go there! :D
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

spot on Weve......
griphuz

Post by griphuz »

Cai, have a good time there, and Dave, thank you very much for the work on the 'raids' on google maps! I did a similar thing for nurseries here in the Netherlands.

Kind regards,
Remko.