Kickstarting Alocasia's?

nige pook

Kickstarting Alocasia's?

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys,any ideas on how to kickstart my alocacia "mac"? Tried sitting it on a warm vivarium and after a couple of weeks then tried a warm sunny south facing window but still no movement. The plant was overwintered with some heat in an outside tunnel but I just can't get it to move! Any ideas would be most welcome. Nige.
harryc

Re: Kickstarting Alocasia's?

Post by harryc »

Have you tried a heat mat, thats the way I kick started mine last year.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

My dire specimens that came from Himalayangardens are in my propagator at a temperature of 25-27c,& they are beginning to sprout.

metalhammer.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are not as easy to start as Colocasia in my experience. My A.Mac came as a rhizome but took about 6 weeks in a hot humid propagator @30-35C to get going. Since then I try to keep Alocasia going as they also seem to start again with small leaves and take a while to get to some size.

I keep them dry in the conservatory, over winter, which goes down to about 6C. They can take dry periods with no problem, but have a handy sign of drooping the leaves when too dry. If this happens I add a little water, not enough to run out of the bottom and they perkup again :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Mine was in a unheated conserv when it came into heated house it started to grow. Ive split my Alocasia mac and potted the suckers all are growing now.Green fly love the leaves on them .
skelding

Post by skelding »

Have you tried an airing cupboard, but check them daily for growth...
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

It was in a heated tunnel when I bought it and once home I placed it on a warm south facing window but nothing. It did seem pretty dormant with only two old leaves from last year. One has since yellowed so I removed it. Then I place it on top of a reptile viv so it has bottom heat for a few weeks with the house temp at a steady 20c.Still nothing,so I've placed it back into the cooler corridoor and plan to bring it back and try again in a couple of weeks. Bought a tiny one from Desert to Jungle and thats romping away on the sunny window sill. Think it's being just plain stubborn!! :?