Arundo donax's

nige pook

Re: Arundo donax's

Post by nige pook »

Ahh looks good,well the green one at least. Been after the straight A.donax myself for a while but have only found the variegated ones so far and I'm not really a fan,like many others, of variegated plants. Always seem to look a bit washed out to me. Then again,would be a sad world if we all liked the same things I guess. :) Nige
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I had a look Lee, and mine is versicolor not variegata, but has got a nice chunky new stem growing. I am undecided where it is going to go at this point, but will err on the side of a more sheltered gap with the green one less sheltered.

Here is a better pic of it
Attachments
20100510 Arundo v 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Melissa »

Nigel Fear wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:if i remember rightly,melissa had a corking photo with hers icon_thumright icon_thumright
:wink:
I'm afraid after this winter our plant isn't looking quite so good now.

After time they do trend to wonder, then the centre dies which spoils the look of the plant and it's a butter to dig up and replant :(

The var one didn't last long here, no where as hardy for us.

Melissa
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

you need to supply some pick axes and spades for the end of may Mel.plenty of sweat available at the up and coming meet. :wink: :wink: :wink:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Melissa wrote:
I'm afraid after this winter our plant isn't looking quite so good now.

After time they do trend to wonder, then the centre dies which spoils the look of the plant and it's a butter to dig up and replant :(

The var one didn't last long here, no where as hardy for us.

Melissa
Wouldn't it be possible to dig out the dead centre and replant with bits chopped off the edge :?: Seems a bit easier than trying to dig the whole thing out. Maybe another rhizome barrier plant then. :wink:

I have to dig Canna out, divide and replant every 3 to 4 years as they do the same.

I'll give the variegated one a chance in a warm spot, but doesn't look that promising :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Re: Arundo donax

Post by simon »

I don't think it is a candidate for a barrier. It is a plant that slowly expands or creeps. It doesn't run. Barrier is good for deflecting running roots or rhizomes to prevent them running across the garden. I think if you used a barrier for donax, once it reaches the barrier it will become restricted and congested and would probably need digging out anyway. It would be like putting rhizome barrier around a clumping bamboo.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I have tried growing them up here in the past, but they just tend to get smaller and smaller each year. A lack of summer warmth I reckon.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've noticed that once temps get above 85°F or so, the variegated ones lose strength in their variegation and become rather washed out looking.

Cheers, Barrie.