Ricinus (caster bean) still tiny?

parkeey

Ricinus (caster bean) still tiny?

Post by parkeey »

mine have just about shown their leaves and r still very tiny, is this normal? so late?? pooted em up months ago lol will they devlop this late do u think..
Conifers

Re: caster bean still tiny?

Post by Conifers »

No surprise given the cold spring!
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

true anyone else having much luck growing em
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Hi all these were sown on 22/3 they are coming on quite well although not half as well as last year, have just sown some more hopefully a later sowing will grow quicker!! (varieties shown are Zanzibarensis and New Zealand Purple)
Attachments
Seedlings.jpg
Seedlings.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Here's one from last September
Here's one from last September
Zanzibarensis.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 812 times
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

looking good. mine better hurry up..
derrick

Post by derrick »

My old ricinus dont look to great ive had it a couple years .I cut the top of and bring it inside each winter.The council havent planted them this year .
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

think prob best to start from new each year from a new bean! alot easier and better growth ive been told on here..
Vic

Post by Vic »

Parkey, where are you in Kent? I have half a dozen spare gibsonii and carmencita pink if you want a couple, they are about 10-12 inches in height and good to go straight out.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have 5 Zanzibariensis and 5 Carmencita Red seeds - Only just got them off Ebay, so I must get them potted up ASAP... :oops:
Juggles

Post by Juggles »

Could someone tell me if you treat them as a annual or perennial? As i've read loads of different stuff? And is there a better variety to get? Have been given small plant, but don't know what variety it is, green leaves at the mo, but was told they will red and get to about 7 foot tall. Sorry thats all I was told. Thank You
CW01

Post by CW01 »

I've always treated them as an annual they always get to big to bring inside in the winter