Help needed from the palm experts....

skelding

Help needed from the palm experts....

Post by skelding »

I have had a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP planted in my garden for about 11 years now and it is my biggest palm by far, the central spear pulled out today.... :( . Is it compost or is there a chance it will...with time...recover?

The same has happened with a small Brahea armata, will this ever grow back or is it compost?
Nathan

Re: Help needed from the palm experts....

Post by Nathan »

If you can get rid of the rot it has a chance. Best thing to use is Hydrogen peroxide, do a check on the search function & you will find many posts related to this icon_thumleft
skelding

Post by skelding »

Should I use sulphur in the crown?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi Skelding! I have never managed to save a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP once the central spear has gone but wish you well.
Our big Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is/was lovely, I would sit up in bed and see the fronds waving like an octopus in the summer breezes...
I have cut off all the dead fronds, but the central spear although fried is still firm. This is a repeat of last year and it took all summer to re-grow a few measly short new fronds. We have had ours for about 5 years and it was great until 2008/9. They are simply not as hardy as I thought.
Good luck with the potions if you decide to have a go at saving it! ...I think you are supposed to pour the sulphur, or whatever, into the crown cavity.
weve

Post by weve »

Its not certain death.........A friend had two potted small CIDPs which both spear pulled in the same winter (a long time ago). She sprayed some fungicide into the centres. One made it and the other didn't, so there must be a reasonable chance of recovery