my new plants

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: my new plants

Post by Dave Brown »

Very nice plants nic icon_thumright

Did the Dicksonia antarctica come with a full crown of fronds like that :?: If so that bis the best one I've seen. They normally remove the fronds for shipping and those grown after tend to look ropey. Was it rooted, or just a log with a crown :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i dont know about nics but if simon can fit you in on his own deliveries,he will leave the fronds on whereas couriers have them cut off to reduce height
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
nic

Post by nic »

mushtaq86 wrote:I like the first one in the pic.What is it
yes thats my favorite. its a butia yatay :)
nic

Post by nic »

Dave Brown wrote:Very nice plants nic icon_thumright

Did the Dicksonia antarctica come with a full crown of fronds like that :?: If so that bis the best one I've seen. They normally remove the fronds for shipping and those grown after tend to look ropey. Was it rooted, or just a log with a crown :?:
yes it came with the fronds left on.
in the past I've brought them as a log but i think this was one of simons from last years stock. it wasn't rooted so ive put a big stake in the pot to hold it up so i could keep most of the height then i will take the stake out once its rooted icon_thumleft
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Great plants, Nic!
Appearance-wise Butia yatay is my favourite of the Butias - I hope it does well for you.
I've noticed most of the CIDPs you can see around Ipwich as you drive around the town (i.e. mostly those in people's front gardens or in the borders the developers have put by the new flats on Ranelagh Road) are looking fine and showing little or no damage after the worst winter in the 15 years I've lived around here - so hopefully your palms will be okay.
Pete
greg

Post by greg »

nic

saw your plants at Simon`s waiting to go with a tag on the palm with the brownish trunk, there were 2 there, yours was the best specimen but what is it?
nic

Post by nic »

greg wrote:nic

saw your plants at Simon`s waiting to go with a tag on the palm with the brownish trunk, there were 2 there, yours was the best specimen but what is it?
it is a butia odorata.
i had the choose out of the two but i think i picked the best one the other had bigger leaves but they dident look as tidy. :)
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Way to go mate!

What a great selection of plants :)
Jellybob

Post by Jellybob »

I would really think about the winter now in regards to those plants....I would hate to lose anything let alone those expensive and beautiful palms. Have you given much thought to locations, over head protection or even heating cables? Please....think of your palm babies!!!
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

those plants wouldn't stay in my garden very long as someone would probably knick them! I'd get those pots chained and bolted!
nic

Post by nic »

just finished potting up my new plants. :D
Attachments
IMG00048.jpg
IMG00049.jpg
IMG00040.jpg
IMG00041.jpg
IMG00054.jpg
IMG00050.jpg
IMG00051.jpg
IMG00046.jpg
IMG00047.jpg
IMG00042.jpg
miggs

Post by miggs »

i heard you got a cracking five foot fern today icon_salut nice to meet you today m8 and lets see some pics of the bars you were talking about
nic

Post by nic »

yes thanks miggs for letting me buy your 5 ft fern it dose look good in my garden.
it was nice to meet you to mate.
as soon as i get a chance i will put a few pics on.

i went to pick up my waggie on wednesday and i see your tree fern in the tunnel. look out im after another tree fern :lol:
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

great pics! they look fantastic!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Very good!

Must have spent a small fortune on compost though, lol!