Emergency Dicksonia antarctica first aid advice please

Juggles

Emergency Dicksonia antarctica first aid advice please

Post by Juggles »

Oh my god! Ive just had a diseased tree felled from my back garden today. When I came home the idiots had wiped out my Dicksonia antarctica and has now lost 6 of its nine fronds, leaving the other three damaged and leaves torn!! I am so p..... off!! What I would like to know is could this have permanently damaged the fern, or have I lost the fronds for this year only. Should I give it anything?, will it be going into shock?. One of the remaining fronds is very loose in the truck. Should I take this out or leave to see if it takes again? They also wiped out a fence panel, but I couldn't care less about that, I only bought the Dicksonia antarctica 3 weeks ago.
dave2166

Re: Emergency Dicksonia antarctica first aid advice please

Post by dave2166 »

Some many questions

firstly commiserations

the good news is your tree fern will survive, it's look a bit funny this year though. i would firstly start a feed and water regime as you can often get a second flush of fronds in the summer. so give it half a chance and keep it wet.

the loose fronds i would leave unless they fall down the trunk, then you may as well cut it off

i assume they muppets who did this werent trained arboriculturalists, if they were they should be ashamed of themselves, tree felling in close quarters should be done piece by piece, branch by branch with ropes controlling the falls.

if as i suspect they were 'garden tidiers', you know the ones who run round with mowers all summer doing tidy ups, then they should have professional liability insurance for the fence, and your consequential loss of the fern, your loss of enjoyment etc...
Brian

Post by Brian »

first thing i would do is contact the company you employed to fell the tree there insurance should cover all damages caused you never know you might get a new Dicksonia antarctica and your one should still recover
mowerman

Post by mowerman »

As Dave says the plant will recover. For reasons too lengthy to explain here I had to cut off all the fronds from my Dicksonia antarctica mid summer when in full growth about three years ago. The following spring a mass of new fronds appeared!
Have you complained to the 'gardener' ? Take photos now of all the damage. If he is a gardener and not a proper tree surgeon his public liability insurance may not cover the damage so he'll be personally liable. Our PL insurance covers us for work up to 3 metres, ie specifically excluding tree surgery for which special and additional insurance is required. Many 'jobbing' gardeners even if they're insured never read the small print exclusions in their policy.