New Yucca and stuff

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

New Yucca and stuff

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Went to Victoria Garden Centre near Pontefract yesterday. They had a stand of a new variety of Yucca Gloriosa called something like Yellow Star/Jewel. (Cant quite remember) Anyway they were almost fully yellow and apparently have a red tinge when the plant is stressed by cold weather. Cost 20-30 pounds Personally think the colour looks a bit sickly but may be of interest?

They also had Foxgloves tree with 5/6foot straight trunks before the rest of the foliage starts on top of this at £56.

Finaly those plants that look dead with long thn "leaves" all black and serrated at £14.99 Never seen those for sale anywhere around here before.
redsquirrel

Re: New Yucca and stuff

Post by redsquirrel »

mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

That's the one Red. I'm terrible with latin names. They look really odd. The label said they turn into normal looking trees after 20 years and are hardy. Not my cup of tea tho
grub

Post by grub »

That's a lot of money for the Paulownia, I saw these in Cornwall somewhere last year at over 10ft for £13 icon_thumright , mine is in it's second year from seed and stands at about 16ft, next year for the big pollard :lol: Edit, just remembered where I saw them, it was in the nursery attached to Flambards theme park if anyones going that way and fancies a bargain.
Last edited by grub on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grub

Post by grub »

My 8" Ferox came through last winter with overhead cover from a Trachycarpus leaf, it's also almost doubled it's height this year icon_cheers :lol:
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Re. Paulownia, very easy to grow from seed. I've been pollarding mine (the one I kept - all the others were given away) since it's third year. So fast growing that £56 is hard to justify.

Joel