Potental planting scheme.

metalhammer

Potental planting scheme.

Post by metalhammer »

I have this idea in mind of using some kind of pine tree alongside my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP,I think the foliage combination should work together.Obviously I would like a Pinus montezumae or one similar,but sourcing a half decent sized one,say 7-9' tall ain't going to be cheap,but MacPenny's @ Bransgore have a range of pines,Pinus nigra & possibly Pinus maritima(not sure about the naming here).If I only get 10 years or so out of the plant that will be fine,but I do have a 350litre pot kicking about here somewhere I think,failing that,I do have a couple of 240's.So should get reasonable growth,not to bothered about overall height,it's just the contrast I'm looking at.

metalhammer.
stephenprudence

Re: Potental planting scheme.

Post by stephenprudence »

Nice plan, how about a parsol shaped affect you can get with Pinus pinea? Relative small too, so never dwarfing the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP like most pines would.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I currently have a dozen seedlings of Pinus pinea.

The pine being grown in a pot isn't going to dwarf the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP anyway.I like to create a contrast in foliage,spiky with soft leaves,small & large leaves together.The other possiblity to go wit the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is Taxodium distichum,soft green folaige,followed by autumn color,then no leaves for the dull winter months.

Most people think my planting schemes are rubbish,get told so.I wish I could find a decent sized P.montezumae or P.ayacahuite @ a price that doesn't break the bank,a tall order I think.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

theres that 7 or 8 ft pinea down the road here for 30quid :wink:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Beware Mike, my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was partly under a Montezuma pine, and they shed needles all year round. forever pulling them out of the crown. If left you stand a good chance of spearpulling as will keep wet in winter. Not something I had foreseen orginally :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

Pinus palustris is a nice plant with needles 10-14 inch long. I do not know exactly how hardy it is but should be hardy enough in Britain
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Not overly hardy I think.

Went out to Macpennys this morning,looked & the pines,but decided they were likely to be a bit overpowering in the space alloted,so went for a Taxodium distichum(swamp cypress) & a Picea breweriana for a whopping £9.75.Darren,remember the weeping spruce in the car park @ Wolvercroft,that's the same plant as I bought,except mine is about 18" tall currently.

Will still look around for a montezumae or similar.

metalhammer.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

what about a Wollemi Nobilis? i love mine.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Got one.

Just also found that some Araucaria bidwillii seeds that came from M@x,that had initally germinated well,then seemingly died,are shooting from an underground tuber about the size of a cocktail sausage.I needed a pot,so chucked out the Araucaria,only to find a 1cm long shoot coming out of the top of the tuber,have managed to rescue 4 now,think there might be a couple more in one of the greenhouses.

metalhammer.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Red,is the Stone pine in a garden centre?.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

yes it is,i was thinking of popping down in the morning and taking a closer look
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Send me a pic,unless your going to buy it for yourself.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i went to get you a pic,can you believe they sold it yesterday.been sat there must be over 2 years. icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Such is life,happened to me with a Pseudopanax crassifolius @ Wolvercroft a couple of years back,the one I've got had a twin brother,after debating it for ages,went over to get it,only to find it had gone.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

we came across a few more at brackenwood today,a good 2 or 3 ft shorter @ £45. didnt look as good with all the growth being on top. settled for a roast dinner instead,one of those where you keep going back til you cant eat no more.very satisfying icon_thumright