Croston Cactus - 2nd Visit

phil75

Croston Cactus - 2nd Visit

Post by phil75 »

ok, ok, i couldn't resist, and took a 2nd visit over to john at his place :)

Not only do i now have a decent Aeonium and Echeveria collection, i have got hooked on Haworthia's too, also got the odd aloe and a nice xgasteralo......anyway £180 later i walk away to save up once again for my hatrick visit in the not too distant future ;)

Will put some pics up sometime tomorrow for you to have a peek at, and if your in the Chorley area it is well worth a visit......
dave2166

Re: Croston Cactus - 2nd Visit

Post by dave2166 »

you could have popped in for a brew phil.... :wink: :wink:
phil75

Post by phil75 »

dave2166 wrote:you could have popped in for a brew phil.... :wink: :wink:
Will certainly do on the next visit matey if it suits - i aint one to invite myself n'all that ;) .......would be good to see your collection, and pick up a few tips :)
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

about 4 miles away from croston.... kettles usually on,, dont know about tips its mostly good luck and perseverence... or is that bloody mindedness
phil75

Post by phil75 »

My purchases from yesterday ;)
Some more Echeveria purchases, inc. Berkley Wright / Cantris / Culibra / Dorothy / Gigantea cv. Scott Haselton / Gypsy / Lindsayana / Mary Diane Wright / Pallida / Red Edge / Subrigda

The following pics include mainly Haworthia's, with the odd aeonium and gateralo

This one did not come from Croston, it's an Agavoides, but was wondering if it is the Courderoy species?? (also know by its older name of 'Lipstick' i beleive), anyone any advances??

Lastly, still looking to id this one i got from a local garden centre, but was not labelled, maybe now coming into flower someone may be able to shed any info as to what it is please, looking in my book it maybe a form of Bicolour (turumiquirensis), but supposebly very uncommon, so prob not - so any takers on a species just yell ;)
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

well worth the trip then i would say Phil

i think your collection has now left mine in the hazy distance
phil75

Post by phil75 »

dave2166 wrote:well worth the trip then i would say Phil

i think your collection has now left mine in the hazy distance
Not sure there dude - I now have approx 40 Aeoniums, 46 Echeveria's, 24 Haworthia's, 13 Agave's, and a few other succulents, aloe's, graptolatum, gasteralo etc ;)

I am now planning for the winter months, as to where to put what, if need be they will all come inside, but i am toying with the idea of getting some of those 4 tier greenhouse things with the covers on, wondering if i put some kind of insulating material in or around it, would t make a suitable outdoor place to protect any of the collection??
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

it might work, you could wrap with bubble wrap, but aeoniums not much good below 0, agaves would be ok,, not dont the others yet,

you could get a frost watcher tube heater whivh would keep it on the plus side of zero, just, but youre biggest issue will be damp and keeping the air moving.
i had one a few years ago and lost plants to rot more than cold.
phil75

Post by phil75 »

dave2166 wrote:it might work, you could wrap with bubble wrap, but aeoniums not much good below 0, agaves would be ok,, not dont the others yet,

you could get a frost watcher tube heater whivh would keep it on the plus side of zero, just, but youre biggest issue will be damp and keeping the air moving.
i had one a few years ago and lost plants to rot more than cold.
I know you can get the fleece covers for them which are designed to protect from frost, or was possibly thinking of using the radiator insulating roll stuff, which is basically bubble wrap covered with a silver coating designed to keep the warmth in, but would also be good at reflecting any light onto the plants, then possibly putting some straw around the bottom for extra protection during the nights etc

How would they all fair if i brought them all indoors during the winter months, as light would be the issue here i guess??
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

well assuming that you have enough windows, then i would say

windows can get cold when the curtains are drawn as you shut off the heat.
most of what you have will be fine indoors, moderate the watering accordingly, as they will all be in winter dormancy
you might get a bit of light pull, but thats likely to be the aeoniums the others grow too slowly to make a difference

check you agaves because they will probably go outside, under a rain cover, but bear in mind that most hardy temps are for mature plants only and babies will be several degrees above that

have you thought about a greenhouse? look in the local free ads theres always someone wanting to get rid , often buyer dismantles but it could solve a few probs
paul h

Post by paul h »

Nice selection Phil :D as Dave has suggested i would check with the agaves,Haworthia keep indoors and Aeouniums but some echeveria should be ok but would check which,as also suggested a greenhouse might be better as ventilation is very important.
phil75

Post by phil75 »

Cheers guys - a greenhouse is out of the question for the foreseeable future, no space and we are living at the parents for the next couple of years or so (sold the house due to neighbour prob's, did not make a penny and now cannot get a mortgage, so we have to start a fresh, when we have saved up 10-15% deposit, which is gonna take a while).......

there is a g/house here but the parents put there fuschia's etc in there over winter and it is packed out, so no space left at all......

Got a 4 tier greenhouse thingy today, and came with 2 covers, a clear one and a fleece one which will help out for the hardier stuff......others i think will be brought inside.......

PS - any advances on the echeveria id's please??
phil75

Post by phil75 »

oh yeah, forgot to ask - for you peeps with Haworthia's, do you keep them indoors all year round, or just in the winter months??

I have mine outside at the mo, the recent additions, but will be coming inside as the winter draws in.....
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Phil,
Your unknown Echeveria looks like E. Cante. Regarding overwintering, echeverias don't overwinter well in the house or conservatory in my experience. If it's warm they keep growing and our winter light levels result in etiolation. The plants stay alive though and you'll have cutting material. Some Echeverias withstand cold better than others. E. Secunda & E. Elegans will survive a UK winter with overhead cover. Agavoides is quite hardy too so the polythene greenhouse idea might just work. There is a nice hybrid between Elegans & Agavoides called "Gilva" which can survive covered with a pane of glass or something similar.

Joel
paul h

Post by paul h »

Hi Phil

Think the agavoides may be Courderoy,not to sure about the other one was going to go for blue prince......... Joel r has come up with Cante again not sure as seems to be lacking any bloom.
The Haworthia should be ok out but if the wet continues would be inclined to offer some overhead protection so as to prevent root loss this winter,and give them a chance to dry out.