Come on lets post some pics of the garden 2010

themes

Re: Come on lets post some pics of the garden 2010

Post by themes »

Adam D wrote:
Shade is the new black IMO!

You do ferns and rhododendrons well Mo.
I know that you were interesting in rhododentrifying your garden last year...Did you get any new additions? also this thread is dominated by english gardens....thats not right and not representative of the Uk as a whole. You can't do devolution on a seperate thread...its not right! can you address this as soon as possible..all pics under one thread is better. You are one of the subscribers to shade, good boy.

Don't worry Adam, other people may have thought they have escaped this badgering... their sadly mistaken. Its better to just post and then I will go after someone else.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I will see if I can take some more this weekend and put them in this thread.

Talking about Rhododendrons, I bought a graziela and macabeanum this year. The graziela is a delightful little thing. I put it in the border in May and it put out a flush, so I think it is okay. My rex went into the ground and seems happy as well. The macabeanum is in a great big pot, the main buds died on it, but this has prompted it to become quite bushy, so it will be interesting to see how it develops over time.

Hmm, I think another trip up to Glendoick is called for actually!

How are the big-leaved ones you picked up last year getting on?
themes

Post by themes »

macabeanum... I have been umming and arrring about whether to get it. Its lovely but space is decreasing..If I do I may pot, but I don't think you will get the best from it. After last winters rhodos must have moved up your list. Its lovely looking at a garden with healthy plants opposed to a garden with plants too tender looking ugly because they are not hardy enough for the garden. Rhodos I have been evergreen enabled me to protect alot of my garden and I also put seedlings beneath and they survived..as the frost was virtually zero beneath them.

Sinogrande has flushed, the leaves is not as big as last years not surprising as I dug it out in late feb..to get a flush at all is reassuring. A few years and it will be the bees knees. Looking forward to your photos.

whose next, let me select my next victim....
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

here you go mo,i volounteer.grass needs cutting but its too wet this week. my excuse anyway
Attachments
mygarden3.jpg
mygarden4.jpg
mygarden5.jpg
mygarden6.jpg
mygarden7.jpg
mygarden8.jpg
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Great stuff Darren!

It looks like an exotic nursery :)
Simba

Post by Simba »

That scheffie looks fab RS, what a bargain hyou landed yourself there, what would you have said it would sell for...?
themes

Post by themes »

def a nursery you have there, scheffy lloks groggy Squirrel keep bucketing it with water or it will defoliate and its to late to put on new growth, mine became a handstand and is only putting out new growth now....check the leaves are not crispy. The garden has too many plants and it will look awesome when they are in the ground, heaven knows where u are going to put them all. rains greened everything up.

Volunteer or I will expose you

next please....
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

no guesses mate,be nice to have it for a while. i wasnt sure what to do with it for the best as i dug it up during that hot spell we had,i bought it home sat in a trug of take root sloshing about in the mondeo and potted it up straight away then kept it moist under the shade of the Trachycarpus.it never dropped a leaf and is growing away like nothing happened
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mo,those leaves were curled when i got it,havent opened back out nor got any worse.it was in a very dry baked raised bed.i am reducing the numbers steadily,front garden is almost planted up now,back will take longer as i have real drainage problems on the clay.seriously thinking of levelling it which will raise the lower side quite a bit.having said that,the washy was planted on the high side and the water rotted the roots on that
Last edited by redsquirrel on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themes

Post by themes »

mist the leaves and keep bucketing it like you would for Dicksonia antarctica , it will be ok I am just naturally anal sometimes :lol:
bev

Post by bev »

some lovely plants there darren icon_thumright

lee
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

yes,but like mo said,spoiled by the numbers.im reducing my palm collection to one of each now,cant plant them all anyway and am learning what my favourites are.trouble is,keep finding other things i like now such as big leafed magnolias,rhodies etc.not impressed with others which will be given away if they were cheap enough but stuff i paid strong money for will try and re-couperate some of . the washing line area is first to go,having one of those pull out ones on a post to create a large agave bed and the extension will get done one day so i can then plant the Dicksonia antarctica properly even though 4 are in already.we hope to get rid of the shed behind the bottom polytunnel and have a greenhouse there for debs succulent collection.of course its all money and the extension has to come first
Attachments
mygarden2.jpg
mygarden3.jpg
mygarden1.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

I said no such thing squirrel, don't get rid get more buy land, go on the game and buy the land with the proceeds. your not thinking straight, must be the chips..you should have had a proper meal

regarding the extension, size isn't everything :wink:
themes

Post by themes »

I have decided Bev is next....
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

themes wrote:I said no such thing squirrel, don't get rid get more buy land, go on the game and buy the land with the proceeds. your not thinking straight, must be the chips..you should have had a proper meal

regarding the extension, size isn't everything :wink:
funny you say that,the neighbour below us has offered me part of his garden to use but if he sells up,im back to square one