Perseid shower tonight

HarryandNess

Perseid shower tonight

Post by HarryandNess »

Are you going to pull out a sun lounger - at about 11pm tonight, lay in your beautiful palm clad garden - and look up at the night sky? The Leonid showers are expected to be fantastic tonight! :)
Ness
Last edited by HarryandNess on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacko

Re: Leonid shower tonight

Post by jacko »

erm..perseids is'nt it.if the clouds clear tonight i might get a good chance because i've got rehearsal tonight with the band and we usually finish around midnight and we're out in the countryside away from streetlights,could be good.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

I was just testing :lol: :lol: :lol: I stayed up until 3am one morning watching them (I'm not crazy really) and saw 5 or 6 an hour. Tonight is supposed to be like fireworks...so I'll definitely be out there!
Ness
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Weather doesn't sound good for tonight,but will keep an eye out on my way home from work.But I will be dead to the world @ 3am though.

metalhammer.
HarryandNess

Re: Perseid shower tonight

Post by HarryandNess »

Well...at 10.30pm the skies were clear and I saw 2 shooting stars. By 11pm it was raining heavily and I was extremely dissapointed about the weather. :( All was not lost however. Half an hour later, the skies had cleared and I saw so many I lost count. They were very fast moving, some smaller than others and some with very long tails. What a show....and it was free! :) :) :)

Tonight is set to be just as good....if you get a break in the cloud!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The sky cleared here at around 1 am, I had a look for a while but saw butter all...
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Ditto Nathan, but we got a lot of light polution around here, and i'm too lazy to drive up on to Portsdown Hill
Leigh
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Never any chance, it was cloudy all night.
jacko

Post by jacko »

well it was fantastic for me,i was at a remote studio recording with the band last night perched on a hill with panoramic views of the night sky,which was clear until 3am.saw loads of amazing meteors.some left an aftertrail that glowed for a few seconds.plus away from light pollution the sky was superb.the milky way was so vivid,i normally cant see this in town.what a night.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Leigh wrote:Ditto Nathan, but we got a lot of light polution around here, and i'm too lazy to drive up on to Portsdown Hill
True. You would have disturbed all the doggers up on Portsdown Hill :lol:
tony

Post by tony »

Surprised you couldnt see any Nathan - they were really frequent last night more than one or two a minute I would say, despite there being maybe 30% cloud cover here. I think it helps if you lie down so as to get your eye in as it were!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

tony wrote:Surprised you couldnt see any Nathan - they were really frequent last night more than one or two a minute I would say, despite there being maybe 30% cloud cover here. I think it helps if you lie down so as to get your eye in as it were!
As Leigh said we suffer from light pollution here, we don't even see that many stars!
Nick

Post by Nick »

We had broken cloud, and I was out looking every time work allowed but only saw 3, nothing like what they showed on tv the night before, total crappe.

icon_sunny icon_sunny