Trachycarpus pics

David S

Re: Trachycarpus pics

Post by David S »

This is my largest Trachycarpus. I assume that it is a Fortunei. I planted it about 3 years ago. There are 2 together but the one on the left is about half the size and is clearly being out competed. Hopefully when they are older it will look good with the 2 different sizes next to each other.
Attachments
IMG_0030.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

thats a lovely and very healthy looking fortunei David. No tatty leaves either icon_thumright I like the clumping effect planting and think it will look great. Mine in pots are only small but they have a nice shape when planted in groups. Going to do a pot with three waggy seedlings too.
David S

Post by David S »

I assume this is also a Fortunei, I bought this 2.5 years ago from Ikea. The fronds are extremely long and thin.
Attachments
IMG_0031.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

can you take a close up of the trunk...lovely leaf dissection
David S

Post by David S »

Hi Themes, thanks for the comments. I like what you have done to your garden. I am big fan of ferns and rocks. I recently bought 3 tonnes of rocks for a raised area with a pond. I just got to do all the work now.
David S

Post by David S »

I am at work at the moment so I can't upload a picture today. I do think I like the second one as much as the first, but hopefully it will look good when it gets bigger.
themes

Post by themes »

3 tonnes is not enough...not nearly enough :wink:
Must show us your garden then as you will get a lot more advice and feedback. I benefited more then you know when I first started by posting pics and seeking advice. It also saved me a lot of headaches...basically if your to shy on the forums you are never going to get the best out of the forums. I post more then my fair share of pics and may bore people to death sometimes with them, but you improve and benefit more by sharing...two heads are better then one...head is good icon_thumright

start a thread

IMO the second one will look better then the first as its very unusual, however the leaves will need some protection from the wind as they look like the type of leaves that will easily get trashed by strong winds...If its protected it will make me jealous in a few years..assuming its fortunei. A close up of the trunk would help
David S

Post by David S »

Hi Themes, I have so far avoided taking wide shots of my garden as it has too many weeds and it just does not look good enough yet for public display. I am always looking in on this forum and have learnt a lot from all the other posts.

You are right about the second one potentially looking good with the long fronds however I just don't see how I can protect it from the wind as the site is quite open once it goes higher than the fence.
themes

Post by themes »

before you know it you won't have room to move and you will be trying to remove stuff to make room, the plants will be protecting each other. I post pics with weeds a plenty, its your garden at the end of the day and so what if it has weeds big deal. what can other people do to you if they see a weed? its not as if we are are living next door you are over a hundred miles away from me. I have had the odd person taking a pop at me and its the exception rather then the norm. Water off a ducks back. Everyone has to start sometime. I can post some crappy parts of my garden if you like on the same thread and it will really put into context what weeds are.

I don't bother weeding unless I have a plant to put there, can't see the point in it. I sometimes remove flower heads to stop seeding but thats about it. Members here post the better parts of the garden I am no exception... I guarentee you I can post some pics of weedy areas in my garden that will make you cringe, or just barren soil patches as I have not decided what to put where and don't want to rush into things. If you really want help advice and make friends post you will be surprised how friendly this rabble of oddballs are.
David S

Post by David S »

I will post some photos of my garden at some point.

One of the reasons why I have so many weeds is that I do no like killing them, as I like virtually all types of plants. I have probably 50 pots with all types of plants waiting to go in the borders once I decide the right place for each of them. I do the same as you which is only remove the weeds when I am ready to plant something in their place. My ideal garden will be when the plants that I have planted are so established that they will out-compete the weeds.

I enjoy reading all the posts on this forum and everyone seems very friendly and helpful.
Hankers

Post by Hankers »

I haven't posted for quite some time so thought I would add my trachys to this thread, all are Fortunei.

This is my biggest, it's still sulking since i moved it in April

My next biggest, it's always been different from the previous one (much shorter petiole)

And another of the same plant

And one in a pot

Finally, this one is a homegrown seedling

Steve
themes

Post by themes »

keep the transplanted Trachycarpus moist. It will take a long time to re-establish. group planting the smaller ones? or are they going to be planted in singles?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I would not worry about a transplanted Trachycarpus sulking.

It will be concentrating on sorting out its roots rather than putting on more top growth.

Lovely big trunk on it.
themes

Post by themes »

get some more trachys adam. Ok you had a bad experience but you pick your self up
kata

Post by kata »

I have one but alas too small,

I was looking at it today, telling it to shape up lol

Some nice ones in this thread.

:mrgreen: icon_cheers