growing Butia yatay ???

adam f

growing Butia yatay ???

Post by adam f »

any idea how to get these bad boys to grow and if they do grow what are they like in this country (growing/hardyness) ??? any advice would be well received
ps i have seeds in a heated propagator at the mo
themes

Re: growing Butia yatay ???

Post by themes »

I have some seedlings but after seeing others experience with this, its not promising. It needs better summer temps then we can provide it. The palm does grow quicker then I expected but not going to shell out for a big one
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

From what I have read the big ones that were brought into the country 7/8 years ago failed to transplant well and just faded away slowly.

Glad I never bought one in the end.
adam f

Post by adam f »

how did you get the seedlings to germinate ?? i will get worryed about the temp when i need too. what temp does it need do you know/remember?
and how quick is growing quick?
themes

Post by themes »

they are so cheap i did not bother with the seed. dave ison was selling them for a couple of quid each 2 or 3 leaf seedlings.
adam f

Post by adam f »

o fair enough o well i guess i will find out if what I'm doing is right
themes

Post by themes »

if your not a member of the eps you need to be. squirrels good at the seedy business.
adam f

Post by adam f »

eps??
themes

Post by themes »

http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/

join...its got alot of good info
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

all ive done with butias in put them in whatever mix im trying in a bag in the airing cupboard which flutuates between 25-30c. recently and still getting good results with an 18 month old bag of erispathas i forgot to put in.chucked about 90 in a bag of spag moss and they are popping within a month. didnt soak them either
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
adam f

Post by adam f »

cheers, thanks for the link and help
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i did have some eriospathas pop in a 2l drinks bottle half filled with seed compost in front of a radiator winter before last. saying that makes those seeds over 2 years old icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure