Garden pictures 2010

Exotic Life

Re: Garden pictures 2010

Post by Exotic Life »

Hi,

Thanks for the positive comments, always nice to hear. About my climate, i live in the southwest, that's one of the mildest places during the winter because I got some sea influence that keep the cold temperated. I started in 2003 with only the 3 Trachycarpus fortunei, very small those from the front and since 2004 with the Phoenix and Washingtonia. Since that times I got never lower then -6 and that where for only a few nights, mostly it was not below -3C. For example, I do protect my Phoenix and Washingtonia but only keep it dry not using heaters. Normally it's not cold enough here to get them damaged. During the summer that same sea influence can't reach me all the time and the closest water has warmed up then and show us more heat then closer to the coast. Not always, but mostly it does and I think I can't complain about that combination. The last 2 winters where horrible and also I lost a lot of things, but the summer of 2009 where good and this summer is in average even a bit warmer. Specially July was warm with a day average from 28C and a night average from 17C till 22 July if i'm right.

I have a sandy soil, very good for the winter because i got never problems with a to wet soil, what I guess that's positive for growing things like the Washingtonia and Phoenix. Otherwise I have to say, i don't be happy with it all the time. Water loving plants like bananas, brug's etc haven't grow very much because the soil is not holding water very long. This august is more cloudy, wetter but still "warm" and not the bananas does give a real good growth. Never use fertilize to any palms, even don't fertilize the bananas for a faster growth because I have done it for many years but don't get a very fast growth proberly because the soil so i decide to spend my money somewhere else and take the slower growth from the bananas, specially when you think palms growing very good in it. :)

That's the story about the climate and soil, so not a supergarden... but I guess the right things at the right place?

Robbin
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

@ Jezza.

Yes I keep it in a pot, black one and place it sunny that the pot and the soil inside will getting warm. I have it since this year, and during the summer I don't have got any problems at all, but it's not the fastest grower. Don't got any winter experience with, but I guees it would be fine in the greenhouse or inside our house coming winter.

@ Themes.

Yes. Last winter we got snow for a while and during the freezing night the wood where it was made from snapped in 2 pieces. Coming winter my father is going to make a new part, but then from better materials. The poles are still there but the bow on the top is gone. You mean this right? Picture from last year...

@ Redsquirrel.

Fresh my memory please? Do I ever met you in kew yeah or do I understand it wrong? :P However, i'm getting older already.. on 5th september I will be 23 years old... my first start with growing exotics where in august 2003 when I planted my first small Trachycarpus.

Robbin
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

please forgive me Robbin,i mave have the wrong person.did you come to kew earlier this year?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
themes

Post by themes »

wasn't that remco, i remember cos he had a tasty bird with him
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

No not visit Kew this year. I know Remco as well personally and he's going everywhere, and doing something with birds too indeed so I guees you have the wrong one. I hope to visit Kew next year again... Cornwall is high on my visit list either...

Robbin
grub

Post by grub »

And next year Eden will have their new 'canopy viewing platform' open icon_cheers , the only thing bothering me about that being that as it only holds 25 people they're bound to be charging extra to use it icon_aaargh
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i do apologise :oops: :oops: ,you still going well at 23 though, looks very established icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright

is that over the plants in the hot house grub?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
themes

Post by themes »

I really love those pillars icon_salut
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

Mo your garden would look great with some pillars in.. making it look like it had over grown some ruins!!
themes

Post by themes »

bobbyd44 wrote:Mo your garden would look great with some pillars in.. making it look like it had over grown some ruins!!
:lol: great idea
zamzow69

Post by zamzow69 »

My Tropical Paradise:

http://www.chuckzamzow.com/ - still working on the site.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Exotic Life, you are an artist. Your plant selection, garden design and maintenance is stunning.

Really, really like the combination of Olea with Lavandula... the blueish leaves of Olea are picked out by the purple flowers of the Lavandula.
themes

Post by themes »

do you protect your washy? if so what do you do?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Brilliant use of palms in your garden Exotic Life.

Great stuff
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Thanks again.

@ Themes.

Yes I do. The Washingtonia and Phoenix are the two palms that I protect here in the garden. Because the Washingtonia is growing so many leafes in one season, mostly I cut all the leafes off till there are 6-8 left. I put them together and tide them up, building a "own" house around it to keep it dry. Specially keeping it dry looks like it enough for here, only the last two winters where a test because they where much colder then I get used to. I start with protection when I have the time and with a small eye to the weather forecast. Last winter I start it somewhere half december, but sometimes it's earlier or later. Sometimes it's protected for 3 months like last winter, but I also had a winter it was only protected for one month. It has seen many situations without protection like rain, snow, hail, wind, freeze etc. I would search for some protection pictures and post them later here if you want?

Here it is in 2004, it was a greenhouse growing palm so lot of wind damage the first year in the ground. Don't know for sure anymore but it was around the 2 years I guess, what means this palm is about 8 years old now. The growing amazing fast in the ground.

23 November 2008, snow covered.

Robbin