Garden pictures 2010

Exotic Life

Garden pictures 2010

Post by Exotic Life »

After a long winter like you all know and got, it has been a great summer here so far. Also the last few weeks where it was much cooler and not so sunny as July temperatures stay between the 20-24C every day and with some more rain the growth in august is better then in July.

Here are some pics from earlier this summer taken on different times, and the last pictures I made last saturday evening after a good summer day from 28C. :)

Trachycarpus wagnerianus new leaf growth.

Phoenix flower

Nerium oleander "Soleil levant"

Agapanthus species

Lantana

Passiflora close up

Mandevilla flower, it's a thankfull plant with flowers a whole summer long!

Olea europea combinated with Lavendula angustifolia. The olea is new planted this spring and survived last winter in a pot without protection and don't even got burnend leafes, so a good hope on this example.

Summer flowers, Pelargonium. It's has been flowering very well since spring below the grape. Defitnely liked the big heat in July.

Delospermum cooperi, lots of places died in the garden but some places it survived and is flowering again the whole summer again. :)

This year a bird has chosen the Trachycarpus fortunei as her new home for the young birds, the young birds used every part of the Trachycarpus trying flying away.

Like this shot from the Bismarckia against a blue July sky.

Washingtonia close up.

Time for part 2...
jezza

Re: Garden pictures 2010

Post by jezza »

I assume you keep the bismarkia in a pot? Is it much work keeping it healthy?
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Pictures from last saturday and to go trough with my Washingtonia, a bit of my proud here in the garden, specially after those 2 nasty winters.

Here is a totall view from the palm, few weeks ago I cut all the damaged leafes from the winter, so everything what you see is from this new growing season. It's the fastest palm in the garden, for example the newest leaf in the middle has growing out last week, so it's about almost one leaf in 1 to 1,5 week at the moment.

My young cycads, the biggest one survived last winter without protection so I find the right spot in the garden to grow these ones. :)

Lanana flower close up.

Another border view, to bad my caesalpina did not survived last winter.. it has been there for a few years but last winter was too much.

Musa sikkimensis "Bengal Tiger", it's not visuable on the picture I guess but the it has a very red color in every part of the leafes, dark red almost going purple.

The smallest palm tree in the whole garden :D

Phoenix canariensis with a spot in the pictures, and some winter damage. Growing a bit slower then my Washingtonia so I have to watch to damaged leafes for 1-2 years more I guess.

Seed buds Phormium

A view to the front.. and entrance of the garden to get by the front door.

Chamaerops humilis "cerifera", Trachycarpus fortunei and Yucca rostrata.

Lagerstroemia indica buds.

My parajubaea torally var. torally. I decide to hold in a container and not going to try in the ground, don't want to lose it and the results from other people in Holland or Belgium after the 2 last winters where not that positive.

A lot plants died at this side of the garden, because there is more shade in the winter then summer it's stay a bit colder there. Time for replanting and filling out new things for next spring.

Like this damaged Chamaerops humilis "Cerifera' but it's regrowing again :)

That's all people, I hope you enjoyed the pictures so far :)

Robbin
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Hmm forget this last few ones, made in the early evening last saturday with a sun what was going down..

stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Awesome layout, and great results. Most of those plants would not be able to survive in my garden, so as I've told you before, you have a better winter/summer climate than I do. I love the layout of the Trachys on the photo of the overhanging roof.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Exotic Life, your garden always looks good to me, when did the tarmac road go in then icon_scratch who owns that :?: lovely looking palms and plants you have there, well done.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Simba

Post by Simba »

Some lovely individual specimens there, but I particularly like this shot...
themes

Post by themes »

lovely the washy is fantastic. was I imagining it or did you have pillars too?
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

Very nice Exotic Life, your garden is inspirational.
Is that really a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seeding??
Lee
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Robbin,the pictures suggest you have been working on the garden for many years yet when we met at kew,you didnt seem that old.what is your secret to such rapid growth?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nick

Post by Nick »

Please do tell :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Great garden Robbin.

All that re-growth after the winter is pleasing to see.
redsquirrel wrote:hi Robbin,the pictures suggest you have been working on the garden for many years yet when we met at kew,you didnt seem that old.what is your secret to such rapid growth?
The right climate and the right soil?

I have heard stories about some places having superb soil.
dk

Post by dk »

I think we all should just move to Steenbergen. The best of both worlds; a marine climate in winter and a continental climate in summer. Not to mention the broad selection of plants available to you in the Netherlands. I'm a bit jealous TBH :wink:

Great garden btw! icon_thumleft
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

It doesn't seem so long ago that you showed us the first pictures of your new garden when you built those walls and painted them yellow. You have made great strides and created a lovely garden icon_thumleft
Andy
greg

Post by greg »

Beautiful garden, you are quite right to be proud icon_thumleft