I need a man with a van - Essex to Cambs

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: I need a man with a van - Essex to Cambs

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

If i were close Simba i would help you icon_salut no doubt would be a pleasure meeting you. I use a spike for digging holes, you've probably seen them at diy sheds etc 5 feet long steel bar with spike one end and flattened spike the other. loosen the hole up with that, be it clay, rubble or whatever and then shovel it out or hand pick it. I suspect when the guy said they were 200 kg he mean't the two together, 200 kg for one would be in excess of 400lbs which they aren't. I put them at 150 ish lbs which is easily manageable.

3 shredded wheat mate, a spike and a shovel, job done :lol:

Have a good un icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

For a heavy clay pan I bang in an angle iron fence post with a sledge hammer to punch through, a bit like drilling multiple holes into bricks you want to cut a hole though. then use my trusted friend, the trench spade to dig out, like a chisel.

The trench spade made so many tasks possible, from removing bamboo without bending forks, digging out tree stumps, breaking up clay, digging deep holes, etc. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

The important thing Dave is that whatever way he does it, he does it safely. Lifting / digging etc ain't everyones cuppa. There's no medal, so if it takes 20mins, 2hrs or 2 days it really don't matter.

We just want the pics, even if he dies doing it :lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: We just want the pics, even if he dies doing it :lol:
I will leave a post it note on the camera so that the paramedics can take the final photo, and they will know to display it on HTUK..... :roll:
Simba

Post by Simba »

One in......... icon_cheers

Following Arlon & Dave's instructions, it was a piece of cake... :lol:

Got just a little bit too dark take take a good pic of Trachycarpus 1 actually in the ground - I will take a better shot tomorrow morning if its bright.
Last edited by Simba on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

One in what mate? The garden?

I was expecting to see pictures of a hole and then a planted out Trachycarpus.

Or am I missing something?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Blimey Adam....little bit of patience mate....just uploading from imageshack.....!!

Last edited by Simba on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:The important thing Dave is that whatever way he does it, he does it safely. Lifting / digging etc ain't everyones cuppa. There's no medal, so if it takes 20mins, 2hrs or 2 days it really don't matter.

We just want the pics, even if he dies doing it :lol:
Hey Arlon don't forget i thought most of you Welsh blokes come from good digging stock, you know Miners where as Essex guy's well i won't mention dancing and white handbags oops just did, slip of the keyboard :lol: :lol:

Hope none taken :wink:

Nice one Simba looking good icon_thumright
Leigh
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Ooops :lol:

Well done Simba! The first one looks great.

So, where are the pictures of the second? :wink:
Simba

Post by Simba »

You were out of the blocks quicker than Linford Christie then, Adam...and I can't match your speed in planting up Trachycarpus number two.... :lol:

I think I have a bit of freetime tomorrow so I might have a crack at the second one then.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Simba wrote:You were out of the blocks quicker than Linford Christie then, Adam...and I can't match your speed in planting up Trachycarpus number two.... :lol:

I think I have a bit of freetime tomorrow so I might have a crack at the second one then.
Timing mate. pure timing :lol:

I look forward to seeing the other one going in tomorrow night :)
Simba

Post by Simba »

A shot from first thing this morning....

Arlon Tishmarsh

Looking good Simba, was the weight not as bad as you thought ? Be great when the others in. icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Leigh said

"Hey Arlon don't forget i thought most of you Welsh blokes come from good digging stock, you know Miners where as Essex guy's well i won't mention dancing and white handbags oops just did, slip of the keyboard :lol: :lol:
Hope none taken :wink: "

I can't reply to that as much as i would like too, why......Gavin Henson is a starter in this years Strictly Come Dancing.

Oh the shame icon_thumbdown

:lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

Actually, it was your comment about using a tow rope on your large potted Trachycarpus that gave me a better idea about moving it Arlon.

When I had to haul them through the garage I was lifting/dragging them close to my body, which didn't work too well, adding a bit of distance and pulling made a world of difference.... icon_thumleft