I need a man with a van - Essex to Cambs

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: I need a man with a van - Essex to Cambs

Post by Dave Brown »

That was a very good buy in the end Simba, well done icon_thumright

I can assure you that planting something of that size is easier than than digging them out :lol: I had to move a 10 year old self sown seedling with about 1m of trunk back in the spring SEE HERE

It will take two of you, but to get out of the pot lay on their side with one holding the pot, the other wiggling the trunk up and down and sideways until it becomes lose, then inch it out by wiggling.

Planting: lay the palm horizontal and carry over the hole. allow the weight of the soilball to drop it onto the hole, using the trunk as a lever to get more upright. When in the hole if not possible to lift on your own, to position, which looking at the size, will probably be the case, lash two bits of 4 x2 to the trunk so you can both lift into final position.

As Michael Caine said "Easy" :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Steph »

can they go in the front?
Well you won't need to chain them down, nobody will be nicking them in a hurry!
Simba

Post by Simba »

Sounds like a stroll in the park when you put it like that Dave.... :wink:

No, really my concern is soil depth. Now that their pots are removed, I can see a root ball that is approx 20" deep.

Can I soak, and maybe tease those roots outwards so that I don't have to dig down quite so deep..?
If so, what kind of depth should I dig the hole...??
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'd say you need that depth to stop it being blown over :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

I was afraid you might say that....I dunno if I have 20" of soil depth, I seriously doubt that I do.... :?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

What are you over? Most gardens do not have 20" of top soil. When planting my big Trachycarpus in the front, when it was only 3 feet tall, I had to break up the compacted clay pan with a pick axe :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by David S »

Hi Simba- I reckon it is worth digging a really deep and wide hole. I have clay about 12 to 18 inches below the surface. If I have a large plant to plant, I am prepared to spend a few hours digging a big hole, about 2 feet across and deep. This way I think I am slowly improving the general quality of the soil in my garden and hopefully the plants will benefit in the years to come. The right tools are really important for the job to speed up digging. I have found a fork to loose the clay and a long handled spade with a pointed end works for me.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Simba
better off spending 20 mins digging a hole twice the size of the rootball rather than disturb all the roots. Just rub your hand gently across the roots where they were against the pot just to ease them out a little. 1hr should easily see them both in the ground. icon_thumleft
David S

Post by David S »

Hi Arlon, I don't know what soil Simba is on but if it is clay how can you dig a big hole quickly? Please let me know as it will save loads of time in future.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Seems to me Simba no matter how hard or long it takes to Dig the holes mate, time spent now is gonna give you the rewards later

It's only your time and sweat mate and cheaper than a work out at the Gym :wink:

Nice pair of Palms at a bargain price icon_thumleft well worth the effort of digging a decent hole, in my opinion anyway
Leigh
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Hey Simba,

How many people does it take to move one of yours?? I'm going to collect mine towards the end of this week and I wondered how much "hired help" I would need to take with me.

Jon
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im lucky if we have a foot of topsoil then clay.i dug a hole about 3ft wide and approx 2ft deep to plant our big Trachycarpus.took a year to settle in but its off going up now.did the same with the washy but the roots rotted in the sump id created.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

David S wrote:Hi Arlon, I don't know what soil Simba is on but if it is clay how can you dig a big hole quickly? Please let me know as it will save loads of time in future.
Hi David,
i suppose its all down to the person doing the job. I've never met Simba personaly, don't know his build , strength etc. I look at the pics he's put up, i know without a doubt i would move them easily on my own. My big potted Trachycarpus is probably moving on for half a tonne, i move that with just a tow rope. RedSquirrell might kindly confirm that as he's seen it. I don't see clay as a problem, dug thru loads of the stuff.
I don't say this to inflate the size of me head, i say it knowiing what i know i'm capable of and knowing i've moved and planted bigger. If Simba was local to me i'd do it for him. icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

when you showed me that pot ,my nadgers cringed at the thought of moving it on my own.we do have slightly different build though,i'll give you that
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thanks for the comments guys..

I did manage to move these two from the driveway, through the garage and into the back garden on my own, they are blooming heavy and awkward, and I am clearly not anywhere near as strong as I used to be.

I get the image of Arlon picking one up under each arm and plonking them into the soil like lollipop sticks.... :lol:
Tis a pity you are not local mate, I would have the grill & kettle on and be waiting for you to come round... :lol:

With a bit of luck I might have a spare hour to myself tonight, so I will have a go at digging out the easiest bed. To be honest, I think that the first Trachycarpus should be fairly straightforward in what I call the hot bed.

Its the second Trachycarpus that causes me concerns. I have very few options where it can be planted, and it would likely be in a bed that has been notorious for solid clay, builders rubble and sheet concrete.
Means I will also have to move a Rhus Glabra and a T-Rex.

But still, gotta be done...... icon_thumright