Trachycarpus
european fan palm
chinese fan palm
washington fan palm

cheers icon_cheers
Jellybob

Re: palms protection

Post by Jellybob »

Hi tenchy. For me, I would only protect the washy and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. Polycarbonate/wood structure style rain cover open at one or two sides, if they are small enough or if you can build big enough! In 08/09 I covered my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP with a plastic sheet suspended above it to stop the rain. Rain/snow/frost still got in and everything pulled. 09/10 built a shanty town over the same palm and it stayed dry....no spears pulled despite it being colder. I found that when it was partly covered the wet ran down the fronds into the crown. My palms are not that big yet, how I would cover when large is a different matter. Last year I had two butia capita, one was left alone, the other had a rain cover suspended over it. Non protected is now gone. So a bit of thought with these small plants goes a long way. But a lot depends on this winter. The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in question was fine 07/08 with a bit of fleece during the coldest nights......
simon

Post by simon »

What is a chinese fan palm. If you mean livistona chinensis, that is less hardy than Washingtonia or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and would also require protection.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

simon wrote:What is a chinese fan palm. If you mean livistona chinensis, that is less hardy than Washingtonia or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and would also require protection.
I always took the chinese fan palm to be yet another name for the Trachycarpus
icon_scratch
simon

Post by simon »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
simon wrote:What is a chinese fan palm. If you mean livistona chinensis, that is less hardy than Washingtonia or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and would also require protection.
I always took the chinese fan palm to be yet another name for the Trachycarpus
icon_scratch
That would have been my first thought but I assumed not as "Trachycarpus" was already listed.

That's the problem with using "common names". People can't give the right advice unless it is clear what plants are being discussed.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Yep, and the European Fan Palm i always understood to be / another name for a chammy
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

European fan palm is widely accepted as chammys, chinese fan palm can't be a Trachycarpus as that would then be listed twice, most likely is a Livistona Chinensis, in which case there is no way it will survive planted out in Leicestershire, even with good protection unless heat is provided, It will defoliate around-3 or -4 & die around -6ish, maybe a little lower if kept dry (I learnt this from previous winters)
Arlon Tishmarsh

See what you mean but then i have seen Trachycarpus's listed as:

Trachycarpus Fortunei (obviously)
Chinese fan palm
Chusan Palm
Chinese Windmill palm etc etc
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

derrick

Post by derrick »

Always wanted to try some of that styrofoam on my basjoo as i have lots of it at work and its not heavy to move about .How about ventilation on palms . This is how i insulated my small washy last year .But im looking for other ideas.
Attachments
S4010036.JPG
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Did you read it carefully? Those Americans keep their palms nearly sealed and kept on the dry side. No ventilation just some artificial light.
I'm gonna protect my palms (I shall plant in Spring 2011) with styrofoam but to make the protection look nicer I have ordered styrofoam rings with lids to put on top. No wooden construction just polystyrene. Still am thinking of some heat source cuz if last winter repeats here this year styrofoam alone might be not enough.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thanks for that Country without timber it wont be to heavy.I used last year on my Basjoo Pallets packed with Kinspan then polly from work.But the shelter i used on Washy the heavy rain went under it .I think are just carport my garden its not to big.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

There is a little problem. How to anchor eg. 6 ft tall styrofoam only box (so the wind won't take it away) without damaging the fragile stuff icon_scratch
derrick

Post by derrick »

I was just thinking that the old cold water tank used to have nails thats not going to work as you need a perfect seal.With timber you can screw it together .I dont no if you can glue timber to it .Some guy had Basjoo insulated in a Polystyrene box in sweden .In greece i kept a large PYTHON in a outside enclosure using styrofoam with heating matt its much warmer Greece.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I was thinking of putting a piece of board on top of the construction and anchoring it to the ground using ropes icon_scratch
Sorry but van Gogh wasn't my grandpa :lol:
BTW if the bloke keeps his exotics in such good condition in zone 4 imagine how many exotics you could grow in your garden protected this way over winter icon_cheers
Attachments
idea.png