Raised Succulent Bed Idea

Essex Ross

Raised Succulent Bed Idea

Post by Essex Ross »

Ok so next spring I'm thinking of making a raised bed to grow Agaves (including Americana, Montana and Havardiana). I was thinking of incorporating a thermostatically controlled soil heating cable into the bed and covering with a rain-shelter in autumn and winter. Is this a viable idea long-term? Or would it be atleast enough to see the americana through its first few winters?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
stephenprudence

Re: Raised Succulent Bed Idea

Post by stephenprudence »

Ask me in Spring I'll tell you then, I've devised exactly the same idea as you earlier this year and plan on putting a shelter on from mid October - I'll let you know how it goes next Spring
paul h

Post by paul h »

Hi Essex Ross
It will definately work and work well :D I did use the same method for a number of years and then got too many agaves and built a greenhouse over the top :roll: :oops: The main think to remember is ventilation is important with most succulents as well.
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

paul h wrote:Hi Essex Ross
It will definitely work and work well :D I did use the same method for a number of years and then got too many agaves and built a greenhouse over the top :roll: :oops: The main think to remember is ventilation is important with most succulents as well.
Thanks Paul, that's re-assuring! :D

To be honest I'm looking forward to spring, can't wait to get on with making it. One question I did have is though, is do you think it would be a good idea to use horticultural weed sheeting with gravel on top or would a top dressing of just gravel be better?

Because I want to suppress the weeds but at the same time don't want to keep the soil too wet.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the more top grit the better ross,keeping them virtually moisture free around the base wont harm them in the slightest.i planted a salmiana out front on top of the soil then raised the level of the bed with grit to cover the roots.the odd weed does pop up but hardly any and they pull out real easy anyway
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
smurnan

Post by smurnan »

Ross,

I wouldnt bother with the heat if it were me. The cover, ventilation and drainage are the keys as the guys have said.
paul h

Post by paul h »

Hi Essex Ross
Would totally agree with Darren and not use the sheeting just a very good top dressing of gravel.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I would agree with Steve, although I am not an arids expert. The last thing you want to do is to inadvertantly force winter growth with soil heating. The heat in the desert comes directly from the sun (above) not from the ground (below). The the very well drained soil will cool quickly at night.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Essex Ross »

ok, thanks for the replies. I'll give the cable a miss but one thing I was curious about is do you think the Agave Americana cultivars would be able to survive a winter outside? For example Agave Americana cv. Medio-Picta Alba and Medio-Picta Aurea and Agave Americana Striata. If I recall correctly Agave Americana Striata can sometimes be a pup from an Agave Americana variegata/Marginata.
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

So does anyone have a soil recipe or mix they could recommend?

I've heard of this so called "Paul Spracklin Soilless mix" but not been able to find that recipe.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

simple really ross,go to your local builders merchants and get a ton of granite chippings delivered.tip the plants out of the pots and plonk the plant in the chippings.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Hi Ross

Paul Spraklin produced an article entitled 'searching for hardy Agave' in which he described a mix of 1 part 20mm all in ballast to 1 part 10mm pea shingle, this mix being used to fill in around loose rubble. I don't know how to copy it here, or even if this has any copyright implications (though I did download it from the internet in the first place). I believe that Paul also uses some sort of porous imported stone, but not sure how he uses it.

It did not work well for me, I covered the raised bed with a plastic greenhouse in winter with the doors zipped open, but this was probably too enclosed. I got away with it on the previous winter but the last one was just too cold here.

The agaves are dead and I'm currently using the soil less compost mix to make concrete :( .
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

And I guess the best to grow these Agaves is on a 45 angle south facing bed or rockgarden in pure gride. The stepper the better I guess, as it warms up quicker by the low wintersun.

Alexander
paul h

Post by paul h »

Hi Essex Ross

The important thing in my opinion with the cable is to lay on the surface before adding the gravel mulch top dressing or even on the surface so as can be removed for summer with the stat this won't promote growth but will allow heat to drift up protecting your plant,I also use a very coarse grit /gravel with a small amount of soil on the surface before mulching and have got agaves including A.americana varigata through the winter this way.Having said that they did take a knock last winter but did survive when straight A. americana did not, tbh variagtes should be more tender than normal non varigates. Yes A. americana striata can pup from varigata.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

here is Paul Spracklin's article:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSWebsite/files/ ... 83934d.pdf

I don't have much practical experience of growing agaves outside - killed a couple of smallish americanas so far. David Quail's article in the Sept 10 BCSS journal includes some agaves he's had growing outdoors in West Yorks for some years. They include a picture of a very nice Agave Parryi complete with pups. he says in his article that both Neomexicana and Utahensis didn't survive last winter. While very cold tolerant, these are two plants which come from very low rainfall habitat and this is probably why they didn't do well (Harvardiana might be another). Rainfall in the UK can vary from approx. 500mm to 3000mm per year depending on where you live and habitat rainfall for agaves might be as low as 200mm.....or as high as 1500mm. Agave Parryi habitat sees winter rainfall and temps comparable to parts of the UK.

Ross,
Did you receive my email re. propogation of cacti OK?