Fatsia Japonica.

Ali

Re: Fatsia Japonica.

Post by Ali »

I bought one in late Mars , they sell them as houseplants here , a nice specimen cost me 80 kronor , could be around 5-6 £ , the reason I planted it out is that one fellow garderner here on Hisingen ( the island I live on ) hade manged to cultivate it witouth losing it , some winters it froze down but reshot ( sorry , english is always easy until it comes to practise it.. ) from roots.

So the Fatsia plants is not very expensive.

We have had a couple of subzero nights , but only -2.

Thank you for the advice.

Ali Khaoua , Hisingen,
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

In the Netherlands they still sell them at gardencenters as a houseplant. Well outside they grow much better and have proven to be full hardy here in the coldest winters. Well at least with some shelter. But still they only seel them as houseplants, and why that is???

Alexander
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

They only sell them as houseplants here too, even though you see plenty outdoors.

It's the same with Pinus pinea - they're not sold as garden trees, they're sold as indoor tabletop christmas trees. But after christmas, people often shove them in the ground, and are perhaps surprised when they survive, and develop into a hardy tree.
Jellybob

Post by Jellybob »

I planted one out in May. Looking at it now (16.00), the top leafs are all black and drooping down-ward....and this after the first frost and I guess only around -2!
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

thats normal, they bounce back. mine nealry defoliated at -10 last winter with no protection. came back strong this year.
Jellybob

Post by Jellybob »

But those frosted leafs are now dead, they have not bounced back....what will it look like after -5 or -6?
Ali

Post by Ali »

But those frosted leafs are now dead, they have not bounced back....what will it look like after -5 or -6?
We have also had a couple of frostnights , lowest -4 , still only a few hours during night/ morning.

No leafburn or blackend leafs , could it be the wind ?

The Fatsia here is not winddisturbed ( relatively ).
Ali

Post by Ali »

Or , your extended period of growth ( milder climate then here ) could have produced a couple of fresh leaves that couldn´t cope with the frost ?
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Which is the hardiest Fatsia?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

JohnH wrote:Which is the hardiest Fatsia?
Fatsia japonica, from southern Japan.

The other two, Fatsia oligocarpella from the Bonin Islands (very similar to F. japonica), and Fatsia polycarpa from Taiwan, are less hardy. Fatsia polycarpa is worth a try in mild areas though, as it is very attractive.