The Wooly for the Squirrel

mixiepalms

The Wooly for the Squirrel

Post by mixiepalms »

this is for darren, ya butia is erm doing rather wll. heres at last a pic, little one doing well too.
Attachments
wooly.jpg
RogerBacardy

Re: The Wooly for the Squirrel

Post by RogerBacardy »

Nice Eriospatha! I guess they are hardy in Kent then. Something very interesting about the trunks of those butias.

Hmm, you've given me ideas, I'm on the borders of Kent.

Thanks for posting.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

it depends on the origin of the plant and its root system before planting. Darren has the knack of producing well rooted plants. He lives in bristol and this baby saw off a bristol winter in a pot. Also it is sheltered to a degree, it saw off snow, temps to minus 7 with no protection last winter this year all the brazilian fronds have now gone, these are all english fronds. lost count of how many. last count was 6.

wont divulge the price, but it was a bargain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kata

Post by kata »

Redsquirrel is not posting just now,

Nice plant though mixiepalms!

:mrgreen: :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

I was going to have one as well but couldn't get there to pick it up :roll:
Simba

Post by Simba »

kata wrote:Redsquirrel is not posting just now,
I think RS is down Wurzel way right now, doing the the tour of Pan Global, Hardy Exotics and Lower Kennegy... :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sorry mixie,yes we were away,dont they look lush with all that dried up look gone icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
hard to believe that palm had no roots when i got it,just an orange claggy football sized lump of muck on the bottom,18 months undisturbed with loads of palmbooster and chicken doo did the trick.
the most important factor i think was leaving it be and keeping well watered in the growing season.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

Simba,

I did'nt want to broadcast redquirrel's absence from his home in case...

:mrgreen: icon_cheers
Last edited by kata on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic

Post by Vic »

mixiepalms wrote:it depends on the origin of the plant and its root system before planting. Darren has the knack of producing well rooted plants. He lives in bristol and this baby saw off a bristol winter in a pot. Also it is sheltered to a degree, it saw off snow, temps to minus 7 with no protection last winter this year all the brazilian fronds have now gone, these are all english fronds. lost count of how many. last count was 6.

wont divulge the price, but it was a bargain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only cheap because of the free delivery :wink:
Simba

Post by Simba »

kata wrote: I did'nt want to broadcast redquirrel's absence from his home in case...
Stupid of me.. :oops:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

dont worry :wink: we always employ security just incase an invader tries to pinch my spotty dotty :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

Yep,

No worries Simba.
we always employ security just incase an invader tries to pinch my spotty dotty
:lol: :lol:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

redsquirrel wrote:sorry mixie,yes we were away,dont they look lush with all that dried up look gone icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
hard to believe that palm had no roots when i got it,just an orange claggy football sized lump of muck on the bottom,18 months undisturbed with loads of palmbooster and chicken doo did the trick.
the most important factor i think was leaving it be and keeping well watered in the growing season.

the smaller one had done just as well, ill try and take a pic later. also my bargain double is thriving. wish i had room for more of them. deffo my fave temperate palm.