Logan Botanic Garden

Adam D

Logan Botanic Garden

Post by Adam D »

I have often wanted to visit this garden, but never got around to it. I know that it is a long way away, but it is not that far from my in-laws so when my family and I were down visiting them in October of this year I decided to pop over there.

The weather in October was very wet, but luckily the day I went over there it was mainly sunny. I am not sure how busy it can get in the summer, but when I was there I only saw 2 other people in the garden and it felt like I had the whole place to myself, it was great!

I first went into the walled garden where they have what are believed to be possibly the largest Cordylines on the UK mainland.

I then found this rather interesting looking Magnolia

It had some very peculiar looking seed pods on it

They had some lovely big old large-leaved Rhododendron (I always read that these like shade, but these were in the sun)

Great looking plants if you have the room

The first very healthy looking Cordyline indivisa I saw in the garden

I am not sure what this tree is, but it looked great!

A very healthy looking Blechnum cycadifolium

The second indivisa...

There were plenty of Dicksonia antarctica in the garden, although I did notice that quite a few of them had not come back

Another big, old Dicksonia antarctica

The Gunnera bog, the trees in the background act as a wind break and you can see why it is so sheltered in the garden itself when you think this is looking due west

This is looking back into the walled garden

I am pleased that I made the effort to go over to the garden and I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that it is in Scotland!
Tom2006

Re: Logan Botanic Garden

Post by Tom2006 »

that is an amazing garden....even more so for saying it is in Scotland with the much harsher weather conditions
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
becky

Post by becky »

looks beautiful, i love the Dicksonia antarctica,s on the last picture , thankyou soo much for sharing them with us adam :D
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Fantastic place by the looks Adam, just too far for a visit.
Love that Blechnum Cycadifolium, shame it's so elusive, but just shows how well suited it would be if it were available. 8)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Adam D wrote: They had some lovely big old large-leaved Rhododendron (I always read that these like shade, but these were in the sun)
They do, but in Logan it (nearly!) always has good shade from the clouds :lol:
Adam D wrote: I am not sure what this tree is, but it looked great!
There's a label right in the middle . . . what did it say? drunken_smilie1
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Conifers wrote:
Adam D wrote: They had some lovely big old large-leaved Rhododendron (I always read that these like shade, but these were in the sun)
They do, but in Logan it (nearly!) always has good shade from the clouds :lol:
Adam D wrote: I am not sure what this tree is, but it looked great!
There's a label right in the middle . . . what did it say? drunken_smilie1
I have just had a look at the original and zoomed right in and there is a lot of reflection on the name tag, but I can make out

"E..nk...thus ...........litus"

Shame the sun was shining, eh? :lol:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Could be the coral tree Erythrina Crista-Galli?[or a relative]
I've just been racking my brains about it, and when you said it began with an E, it just clicked.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Actually Adam, are the red bits leaves or flowers?
I 1st assumed they were flowers, but am not sure now, if they're leaves then you can dismiss my previous post entirely. :?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Adam D wrote:I have just had a look at the original and zoomed right in and there is a lot of reflection on the name tag, but I can make out

"E..nk...thus ...........litus"

Shame the sun was shining, eh? :lol:
Nothing ending -litus, check it isn't -latus. That gives you the option of Enkianthus campanulatus, or Enkianthus perulatus, or Enkianthus reticulatus, or Enkianthus serrulatus.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Nigel Fear wrote:Actually Adam, are the red bits leaves or flowers?
I 1st assumed they were flowers, but am not sure now, if they're leaves then you can dismiss my previous post entirely. :?
It's leaves. Enkianthus is renowned for its brilliant red autumn colours. Also, Erythrina needs far hotter summers than Logan has on offer :roll:
Ali

Post by Ali »

Nice pictures , Scotland surprises me in terms of climate , impossible to cultivate those plants here.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Conifers wrote: Enkianthus is renowned for its brilliant red autumn colours. Also, Erythrina needs far hotter summers than Logan has on offer :roll:
Your'e right there I concede, or probably anywhere else in the British Isles.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

ali, it's the west coast of scotland. has the gulf stream there to keep things mild and wet :lol: beautiful plants. must go sometime.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Great pics,I especially love the Tree ferns!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Ali wrote:Nice pictures , Scotland surprises me in terms of climate , impossible to cultivate those plants here.
You'd be able to grow the Enkianthus OK, that's very cold-hardy. But also not very tropical in appearance!