For Arlon

sanatic1234

For Arlon

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi arlon after seeing the pic you posted of your echium, i just had to show you my complete devastation when i checked mine. i could not believe my eyes and its not the only plant to be suffering either. :(
Attachments
echium in trouble.jpg
mixiepalms

Re: For Arlon

Post by mixiepalms »

san mate, you have to learn, plants go dormant this time of year, you cannot cheat mother nature. Learn from all everyone here has told you. It aint rocket science. plants suffer and go yellow cos ya trying to force them. thye need to rest.

lots of people have given you advice. it is upto you to listen.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I don't know if it is lack of light that has played a part in it as it was under my stairs in complete darkness plus the soil was a little dry i have now give it a good watering in warm water and have put it on my sunniest windowsill.
Also to have suffered by an attack of green fly are all my potted canna's which now have no more foliage as i cut it all of to soil level to stop the little blighters :evil: and also my Alocasia calidora has suffered big time by them. My cupboard under my stairs is ideal with the heat being no lower than 10c all the time but i wasn't expecting an invasion of green fly. My partner couldn't understand what was going on when i was f-ing and B-ing the little pesky things :lol: :lol:

Here is a pic of my Alocasia and the damage they have caused. it was swarming in them.
Attachments
Attacked Alocasia calidora.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

mixiepalms wrote:San mate, you have to learn, plants go dormant this time of year, you cannot cheat mother nature. Learn from all everyone here has told you. It ain't rocket science. plants suffer and go yellow cos ya trying to force them. they need to rest.

lots of people have given you advice. it is upto you to listen.
This has only happened Mixiepalms since it was put in my cupboard before that it was still growing pretty well. I do listen to peoples advice and do take it on board!! I have learn a lot from this forum thank you! I do know that plants go dormant hence why we have different types of plants that grow at different times of the year, like you say it isn't rocket science. :roll:
My point in the post was a concern mixie, as Arlons still looks great and is growing very well but mine is going the total opposite way.
kata

Post by kata »

For your second image san,

Try removing the dead leaves which are just naturally yellowing due to being oldest.

Don't keep moving them about...dark/light/water/dry ..what the heck is going on where am I? :lol: :lol: allow them to climatise to where you put them.

Maybe Arlon's are new plants recently, maybe he feeds them, waters them, does not move them. maybe he has them in regulated heat in his pad/conservatory..rich git :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plants are like children, they feel your nervousness around them.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My main reason for taking my plants out the cupboard Kata was when i noticed my Alocasia swarming in greenfly, so i took all my plants out to check them all and to kill the little devils, i mainly had to get rid of all foliage on my canna's alocasia, and hedychiums as were covered in them. :roll: All are back in there now though as they shouldn't be on them now with only soil showing in the pots :lol:. There just was no light to work from in that cupboard. :lol:
But i do know what you mean by messing them about but i just had to check them all better to get rid before they totally destroy my plants all together. :D
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

They don't look too happy San. When i brought mine in a couple of weeks ago, they didn't come into a "heated" part of the house. They are in a very light place by the back door, like a "boot room", although it benefits from the heat of the house, it isn't heated itself. Day temps in there are about 10 deg at the mo and no more. Perhaps yours are a bit shocked coming from low outside temps to a heated house environment.

Although mine are still growing its not full pelt or forced as mixie says, its a more slow restrained growth. Same with the Trex's and banana's.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah i should say your right about that as the room i put it in when i was given it was bright but was cooler in temperature than the room it is in now, so it probably is in shock a bit and like mixie said it probably now knows that its time to settle down with it being in a dark room. As for my cannas and alocasia i couldn't belive how much they were crawling in green fly :shock:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

you cant expect them to stay perky in a dark cupboard :lol: they think its bedtime
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah i have come to realise this :lol:, i think i was depending on the heat to keep them perky. A bit thick of me i know. :roll: At least now i know they will be OK till spring comes when they come out of the cupboard and hopefully wake up from being dormant.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Here ya go San, this basjoo pup was marked about 9pm last night with tipex. This photo was taken about 1 hour ago, 2.30ish. Even in a cold room they are still growing.....thats about 3 to 4mm in 18hrs and thats about 5 to 10 deg max depending on time of day / night
Attachments
DSC00932 [800x600].jpg
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Arlon,are those the echium snow tower?
Arlon Tishmarsh

They are icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

well done mate,they have grown well.
our big pinnata in the front garden is still growing like billyo,totally covered that samiana now,i keep trimming leaves off to allow the agave to dry but they grow back in no time
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :

San, what makes you think you can over winter every plant in the dark :roll: :roll: Every plant is different. I have said this before, we give you advice for one plant and you do it for everything :roll:

The Alocasia will lose leaves overwinter as the light levels are lower, but in the dark :ahhh!: it will lose them all. A calidora is quite happy in about 5C in light. The Echium is suffering from lack of light which is making it yellow, same as happens if you put a board on the grass for a week. The limpness is through lack of water. It only happens to potted Echium, and has been talked about several times before on the forum.

To get Ensete to pup you need to kill the growing point, then it pups, but if you try the same on a Trachycarpus you just kill the palm.

All plants require light, water, and heat in varying levels. How much and when is uniqiue to every plant :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright