getting the soil acid,any suggestions

AndyC

Re: getting the soil acid,any suggestions

Post by AndyC »

DiCasS wrote:NBD a bit more info from Metalhammer that I received this morning:

Quote:
Sulphur is a long term way of acidifying soil.Sulphur powder is the quickest method,but sulphur chips last longer as they take a couple of years to breakdown.But you need something like kilo to a square metre to drop from ph6.5 to ph6.

If he is growing acid lovers in alkaline soils,the best way to go is either in pots or build a raised bed that is @ least 18" above the soil,put a membrane down,then backfill with plenty of peat.

I said I would pass it on.

Di
You can buy Flowers of Sulphur for the garden on Ebay quite cheaply. I've tried it on one corner of my garden but I haven't given it enough time to see what difference it has made yet.
Andy
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

real_ale wrote:Pine needles, coffee grounds, leaf litter by making a 1 metre sq cage and collect just leaves a fill and you'll have leaf mould, great stuff for free.

Pine needles do not make any significant difference to soil pH; you would need a very large quantity of coffee grounds (the same goes for tea leaves); and leaf litter will make little difference unless it was collected from tress growing on acid soil.
Last edited by Chalk Brow on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

In my village which is on a hill, at the bottom its alkaline and at the top its neutral/acid sand so when the moles are active in the fields 100 yards above me......
12-12-10 002_t.jpg
My agaves, yuccas, dasylirions, Scheffleras, Ensete ... in fact everything likes growing in its free draining structure. Long term project though and it keeps me fit :D
Even longer term which I do also is shred all green waste, compost and dig in.
If you concentrate on a small area at a time you'll get better results.
Of course the ultimate acidifier is Cocoa shells which has a ph reaction of ~5 and worms absolutely love it.