Winter Casualties Already!

Conifers

Re: Winter Casualties Already!

Post by Conifers »

The local Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that I've posted on before, sailed through 08/09, cut badly in 09/10 but was recovering fairly well, looks a gonner.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I planted ou a fair amount of underplanting this year such as Farfugium & Podophyllum etc etc.

I very much doubt that these will be well enough established to survive this onslaught.
becky

Post by becky »

i cant even look in my polytunnel, but my bronze and silver spears look very sick , which never have looked like that before , in-fact nothing looks great, :( my tree ferns are packed out at the crown then fleeced, just hoping they make it , my fingers are well and truly crossed for them, :?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Simba wrote:I planted ou a fair amount of underplanting this year such as Farfugium & Podophyllum etc etc.

I very much doubt that these will be well enough established to survive this onslaught.
Well Podophyllum should be fully winterhardy!
I never lost them due to cold winters! These plants overwinter as a rhizome, a clear adaptation to cold winter climates!

Alexander
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

when will this spell end....I've pretty much accepted the fate of many of my plants but horrible to read others are losing so much as well! :cry:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I hope my Lapageria makes it here on the balcony! Never had any problems here on this mild microclimate balcony, including last cold winter.

But this winter?

Alexander
Nick

Post by Nick »

I believe I've lost or going to lose my Gunarra, a small baby Trachycarpus that spear pulled last winter, all it's leafs are now going brown, a plant like those things where you plant the tuba, but these leafs are heart shaped and really full of water, it two was a lot smaller last summer compaired to the summer before, that could be a conner this winter. :( :( :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

What will die - Every living thing on this planet. It is part of life.... it ends. :wink:

What will I have lost to the cold this winter...... Absolutely no idea. Ask me in September 2011 :lol: I might have an idea then.

Now... you have no chance of telling what is dead or what will survive. Many plants become deciduous, herbacious, or just dormant if they get very cold. Palms on the other hand tend to look fine until April to June if they have had the growth point killed.

Really what I am saying is this topic is a headless chicken topic..

it's dead
it's dead
it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Dave Brown wrote:What will die - Every living thing on this planet. It is part of life.... it ends. :wink:

What will I have lost to the cold this winter...... Absolutely no idea. Ask me in September 2011 :lol: I might have an idea then.

Now... you have no chance of telling what is dead or what will survive. Many plants become deciduous, herbacious, or just dormant if they get very cold. Palms on the other hand tend to look fine until April to June if they have had the growth point killed.

it's dead
it's dead
it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
Atrociously optmistic post, a banning offence by all terms :lol: :lol: :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Dave Brown wrote:What will die - Every living thing on this planet. It is part of life.... it ends. :wink:

it's dead
it's dead
it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
try telling that to my maurellis and young indivisa. pretty much reckon they aint coming back,forever,from nowhere,not to be seen again
(but i do know what you mean about palms and a lot of other stuff :wink: :wink:)
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well at least my Gunnera manicata is under a thick mulch + snow! Worked well last winter so should work well now and be bigger next spring! And they get them also plenty in the northeast where winters are always much colder then here.

Alexander
Simba

Post by Simba »

To take an optimistic twist, I planted out two small Hellebores, "Wester Flisk" and "Gold Bullion", beneath large Trachys and both of these look totally unphased by what they had to endure recently.

I reckon I'll be getting a few more of these in the new year.... icon_thumleft
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

it's dead
it's dead
it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead
OMG it's dead

The grand wizards is a heretic! get your pitchforks boys! :twisted:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I had to rescue some of the plant it my garage today, and bring them to my room, I dont care what the parents say its a practical emergency. If I lost what was in the garage I'd lose 90% of my plant collection (along with what has already been lost)!

Tonight though looks like it could go down to about -10C again but we'll see. No sign of a warm up this side of the new year (even into January) for up here so I expect many many losses.

The Washy is surprisingly looking ok! But I have concerns itll bow over in Spring.
kata

Post by kata »

I think I'll be lucky if my trachies survive.
I went by what was said in HTUK and not covered my Trachi so I hope not to lose it.

The revoluta is so well under wraps and shelter the compost is soft but drips frozen on the wrap. Even the babies are fine out there..

oC at the moment.