tetrapanax seed

Tiddy

tetrapanax seed

Post by Tiddy »

Happy New Year to all icon_cheers
I am hoping to start growing Tetrapanax, hopefully "Rex" from seed. I have all the equipment ie; heated propagator and grow lights etc. The problem is that I want to start now but I need to find a supplier for the seed. I understand that best results are from fresh seed which can only be obtained sept/oct. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get round this problem?

Many thanks, Tiddy.
redsquirrel

Re: tetrapanax seed

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Tiddy,
..t rex seeds...dont bother mate,after this winter,people will have them popping up everywhere desperate to get shot of.you will be able to get some plants for just postage costs im sure icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Tiddy

Post by Tiddy »

Thanks red, but I am looking for a constant supply as I have an outlet for them thro' a friends garden centre, hence the requirement for a seed supplier.
Tiddy. icon_blackeye
Chad

Post by Chad »

Tiddy,

They are not reliable from seed. Crug, who introduced both 'Rex' and 'Empress' had trouble. They sold out of 'Empress' and even re-collecting fresh seed from the original site didn't manage to get any more to germinate.

With regard to 'types' of T.papyrifer, you may find this interesting.

Commercially they are now being grown in bulk from root cuttings, or, for smaller nurseries, from lifting suckers from around established plants.

The whole family [Araliaceae] have been problematic for tissue culture, but I see Bob Brown is offering it this year, so he may have cracked it.

Chad.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I ended up binning about 50 suckers last summer. The rate that they came up was incredible. Once the plant decides to go for it, it is as bad as Sasa palmata, and that is saying something. :ahhh!: but a lot easier to dig up. :wink:

Read HERE
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Chiltern Seeds have Tetrapanax seed.

I hope my T-Rex comes back from it's first winter planted out. I could have picked a better winter to plant out a smallish plant. It had got to about a metre high by the end of summer and was just starting to look impressive.
Last edited by JoelR on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Joel,

Did you grow yours from Chiltern's seed?

I've planted theirs at least 6 times over the years and never got one to come up. I know other people who have failed as well.

Chad.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Chad wrote:Joel,

Did you grow yours from Chiltern's seed?
My plant is the Crug "T-Rex" clone Chad. I think Chiltern are quite good in that they sometimes offer seed that nobody else is selling. My first purchase from them was 2 x Cycas Panzhihuensis eye ball sized seeds which cost £6 plus £1 P&P in 2003. One out of two germinated and is still going strong. I wouldn't blame them for my 50% failure but I know they've had Tetrapanax seed listed for quite a few years which makes me wonder how old the seed is. I bought Phoenix loureirii seed 4 years ago on the basis of Chiltern's hardiness recommendation and I still have 2 plants doing OK but after further investigation, I seriously doubt if this palm is anywhere near as hardy as CIPD which I consider to be tender here in West Yorkshire.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Joel,

I agree; I hadn't meant to slag of Chiltern Seed in general. I've grown some wonderful rarities from their seed over the years. It is just the Tetrapanax that I've not heard of anyone germinating.

Chad.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Chad wrote:I agree; I hadn't meant to slag of Chiltern Seed in general. I've grown some wonderful rarities from their seed over the years. It is just the Tetrapanax that I've not heard of anyone germinating.
It's in Chiltern's new 2011 catalogue and i can't find anyone else offering seed. maybe someone should let them know or at least ask them if they've managed to germinate this seed.

Tiddy,
As Dave pointed out, you're probably better off acquiring a plant. I'm surprised it hasn't reached garden centres & DIY sheds yet and isn't all that readily available. I was looking to buy a plant a few years ago and even Amulree and Mulu were out of stock. I finally spotted one in the plant sales area at Scampston Walled Garden, North Yorkshire with the Crug collection number on the plant label.

Dave,
You could probably get £10 each for well rooted pups. :wink:
Tiddy

Post by Tiddy »

Thanks for all your excellent advice. As a result I may have found a supplier. Many thanks to all icon_cheers
Tiddy.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

JoelR wrote:
Dave,
You could probably get £10 each for well rooted pups. :wink:
I probably could, but the one that is pupping like crazy does not seem to be the most winter hardy or the better looking of 2 clones I have. I have potted up load of pups but didn't even give them away as I'm holding out for the tougher better looking one from the MULU pedigree.

This is the look most people want. 22 month root cutting from and ex- Mulu plant.
Attachments
2010-09-12 16-27-02 FG TRex .jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

:shock: Amazing plant Dave.
Steveb1973

tetrapanax seed

Post by Steveb1973 »

I would love a pup or 2 if anyone is offloading any.
Could swap for pups from my Furcraea Longaeva
Attachments
20190430_172011.jpg
chainsaw kid

tetrapanax seed

Post by chainsaw kid »

Steve, I have 2 foot and a 9 inch tetrapanax I would gladly swap you but the one is a bit big to post. Your not coming this way any time this year are you? If so I would keep them for you.

Regards Jason. icon_salut

EDIT Steve, I should have said welcome to the forum. :roll: :D
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.