Washingtonia Help!!!!!

davidjonesUK

Washingtonia Help!!!!!

Post by davidjonesUK »

:shock: hi everyone just i need help with my washy as i kept it in over winter but repotted it late last summer and as a result of keeping it in the leaves are drying up and i am watering it, anything i can do to keep it alive till summer thats if it is starting to dieing :?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Washingtonia Help!!!!!

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Dave, I'd carefully tip out of the pot and inspect the roots. Unless the palm is actively growing it won't need much water, and it is so easy to over water.

If the roots look dead I'd carefully remove the compost to see if you have any live roots deeper into the compost. If no live roots that explains why the top is dying back.

If there are live roots but the compost seems wet stand the depotted rootball on a newspaper to draw out the water. It needs some moisture but not much.

Let us know what you find :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my guess would be over stress.isnt that the one that was in out and all about last year?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

redsquirrel wrote:my guess would be over stress.isnt that the one that was in out and all about last year?

nope this is a new one the last one died, and dave ermm.. i water it but i let the soil dryout for a few days till it feels light then i water it lightly.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sorry,my misunderstanding. icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

I let one of my washies dry out for too long, its leaves have folded up and gone limp. When I discovered it was too dry for too long, it's trunk was even soft to touch. After a good watering it firmed back up but the leaves are still folded up and limp, saying that they are still green and the spears are not pulling.

Was it stored inside in a heated room or an unheated cold area? I over winter in a cold area and the drying out is not a problem so long as you remember to water and are not forgetful like myself. If your storing it in a heated area it will need to be watered and supplyed with light.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Washingtonia's don't like being indoors at all, they have a high light requirement which makes then unsuitable for growing indoors, plus if it was outside in cool conditions, then brought into a warm house the poor plant is probably in shock. I would keep it outside & bring it in only over night when frost is forecast...
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

davidjonesUK wrote::shock: hi everyone just i need help with my washy as i kept it in over winter but repotted it late last summer and as a result of keeping it in the leaves are drying up and i am watering it, anything i can do to keep it alive till summer thats if it is starting to dieing :?

sounds terminal, i keep mine in the greenhouse, water it very infrequently. they do not like being indoors as has been said already. cheap enuff to replace
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I practically nearly killed mine Dave a few months back mate, i had my multi stem in my front living room and it was not getting enough light all the foliage went a brown/yellow colour. ANYWAY after the info from members on her i have now moved it into my kitchen and its on the windowsill, i water once every week and only a little roughly for about a minute stood in water and this is working a treat, since doing this is has started to push up new spears which are lovely and green, and even my old damaged foliage has opened up although it looks horrible. :lol:

Here is my washy that i was torturing a few months back :roll:
Attachments
washintonia not looking good at all.jpg
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

well its in my bedroom haha soo yano, also like many mums love there heat so yeah it's a heated room as i have a radiator but i before work i always keep my window open :s:
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

This is my washies the plant in the middle is not doing to well but the other is doing great, right hand side. The are being over wintered behind that wall in an unheated stair well. They have been grown from seed and this will be their 4th summer coming. This is where they go on sunny days.
Attachments
Photo-0014.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I love the one on the right rabbie that is one fine washy you have there mate icon_thumright
what is the palm on the left? also do you think that the palms either side of the washy in the middle is restricting any light getting to it? Looks how mine started off, but now that is getting full light it is bouncing back well. :wink:
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

Livistona australis on the left, they are small date palms in the middle. Once things heat up a bit and the days get longer it will be only seedlings on that bench so no problems with washies shading the smaller stuff. Its just my over wintering spot, for the shortest days about 4 weeks worth of the year I get no sun there at all.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I really want one of those Livistona australis, they look stunning! what is there hardiness rabbie?, and what cost is it for one about your size?
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

i decided to soak mine today hoping we get a bit of sun then il pop it out