Where can I buy Wodyetia bifurcata

Tom

Where can I buy Wodyetia bifurcata

Post by Tom »

Hello,

Can anyone advise a source for these, google came up only with one e-bay seller and a seed shop from Germany.

Thanks,
Tom.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Where can I buy Wodyetia bifurcata

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't suppose these are in high demand at this time of the year as they are not hardy at all. UK suppliers would have difficulty housing them over winter and I'm not sure how well they would handle delivery in the colder months. My advice would be to wait a few months :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Paradise Palms sell seed but if you can't wait and have lots of cash then both Amulree and the Palm Centre sell plants
Andy
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Der Palmenmann have some for sale, only seedlings though:

http://shop.palmenmann.de/product_info. ... rcata.html

I have bought from them before & they are top quality plants & I received them quickly too icon_thumleft
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I wasn't going to fork out for a mature one as I would need to overwinter it in the living room. Seedlings would be nice to have, but good point about the shipping in cold weather especially from Germany.

It could be quite fun to grow from seeds, I quite like the look of the seeds too. Is it just me or does it look like these have huge seeds on the picture of the seedling on the German site?

Tom.
Gareth Davies

Post by Gareth Davies »

Tom,

I have a couple of 2 year old seedlings but they are painfully slow growing. As has been mentioned they will not be at all hardy but it hasn't stopped me from trying them. I had 3 seeds to start with, one popped within a couple of months, the second after about 6 months and the third never has. I then brought another 12 seeds and only a couple of these have popped so far but I'm hopeful for a few more. They are a striking looking palm when mature but I think you would need a lot of time and patience before a seedling began to resemble the mature plant.

The seeds are large, about the size of a golf ball and are quite strange looking.

Good luck,

Gareth.
Last edited by Gareth Davies on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

:lol: Big black things with deep ridges. I manage to get one leaf a year out of mine, and that's it. This is coming up to my fifth year with this (I think) and looks no bigger that the one in the link (first pic). I perceivere. :?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have just ordered one from Canarius, I know I wont keep it long but its up there with my fave palms so worth a punt.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I've ordered some too (decided can't wait won't wait). Because of the minimum order I had to get 2 plus a waggie.

Interesting to hear that it grows slowly in this country, I was fooled by some other forums where they said it was fast growing, but I now realize these posts were from places like Hawaii and Florida.

Tom.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I was up at The Palm Centre today and they had two bigguns wrapped up in the glasshouse, cant remember the price but you dont find them that big too often.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Tom, you have PM..... icon_thumright