Yukka ID

Yukka ID

Postby Kingy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi all,

Can you tell me what type of Yukka this is as i never trust the descriptions on gardening express.

Also is it hardy as suggested?

https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/garden-plants/winter-sale/large-patio-adams-needle-yucca-jewel-trees

Cheers
Kingy

Re: Yukka ID

Postby simpleton » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm

It does look like Yucca Jewel. I have a large one in a pot, which stays outside in the winter on a covered terrace, so it's kept dry which helps it's hardiness. My one seems to survive -4/-5 OK although freezing icy winds will brown the leaves. I would move it to somewhere more protected if the forecast was for anything colder. I wouldn't risk planting it outside here.

It seems a good deal at that price.
simpleton

Postby tatter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 pm

As an aside to this post has anybody ever bought anything from this source
regards

Jim

life is better in the garden
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
tatter

Postby Kingy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 am

Cheers

I bought a trachycarpus fortunei from them last spring in there sale. Leaves were a little tatty on arrival but it soon outgrew that. 30cm trunk for under 30 quid and its done really well in its first yr.
Kingy

Postby tatter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Kingy wrote:Cheers

I bought a trachycarpus fortunei from them last spring in there sale. Leaves were a little tatty on arrival but it soon outgrew that. 30cm trunk for under 30 quid and its done really well in its first yr.

Cheers Kingy would love to see a picture of the yucca if you decide to buy icon_thumleft
regards

Jim

tatter

Postby Andy Martin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:17 pm

tatter wrote:
Kingy wrote:Cheers

Cheers Kingy would love to see a picture of the yucca if you decide to buy icon_thumleft

Jim... I have a largish one but can confirm they are a sight for sore eyes if left out in cold and wet I soon found rot around the leaves and the stems were literally eaten away. Mine is put away in my shed for the Winter
IMG_6973.JPG

Damage to stem
IMG_6975.JPG

An attractive Yucca otherwise that will perform well in a Conservatory or bright spot in your house.
Andy Martin

Postby tatter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks Andy but I was really only interested in what condition it is when it arrived(assume kingy buys it)and if anybody had bought fro gardening expess.But thanks for the info anyway is it the combination of cold and wet ie would it survive the cold if kept dry ?icon_cheers
regards

Jim

tatter

Postby Kingy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

On its way tatter will post pic once it has arrived
Kingy

Postby tatter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am

Kingy wrote:On its way tatter will post pic once it has arrived
regards

Jim

tatter

Postby Blairs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:56 pm

I have bought from gardening express and they are good plants. The same yucca was £15 for a 4ft standard last year, so this is less for less. Mine did not like a few low temperatures and the top growth rotted. Now have them coming back from roots.
Blairs

Postby Andy Martin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:59 pm

tatter wrote:Thanks Andy but I was really only interested in what condition it is when it arrived(assume kingy buys it)and if anybody had bought fro gardening expess.But thanks for the info anyway is it the combination of cold and wet ie would it survive the cold if kept dry ?icon_cheers

Sorry Jim I misunderstood what you meant. I believe Simpleton is close to the mark on hardiness. These plants like Jewell and the even more beautiful mediopicta hail from the sub tropics and therefore are much less hardy than Mountain variety Yuccas. Standard Yucca elephantipes may survive outside if wet protected but only by a few degrees more.
Andy Martin

Postby Kingy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Arrived today. Leaves are a quite tatty but big trunk about 50cm. If you had paid £50 i think you would be dissapointed but for £10 itl be great value once it grows out the leaf damage in summer.

No option to upload a photo in this part of the forum.
Kingy

Postby tatter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Kingy wrote:Arrived today. Leaves are a quite tatty but big trunk about 50cm. If you had paid £50 i think you would be dissapointed but for £10 itl be great value once it grows out the leaf damage in summer.

No option to upload a photo in this part of the forum.

Are you saying it took 9 days to get to you"2nd jan its on its way" that's an outrageous time to be in a system for live plant.
regards

Jim

tatter

Return to Cacti & Succulents, (including Yucca and Rock Plants)