Cacti and succulent garden

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Cacti and succulent garden

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

dgroberts wrote:So, I'm sure you experts could provide a few examples of echeveria, opuntia, delosperma,agaves that will survive the cold/wet conditions of south yorkshire. Please help. Thanks again.
Thanks again for all the info. There seems to be some differences of opinion as to whether cacti/succulents will survive the cold/wet of the UK, yet there are pictures of them doing so in yorkshire. So, I'm sure you experts could provide a few examples of echeveria, opuntia, delosperma,agaves that will survive the cold/wet conditions of south yorkshire. Please help. Thanks again.
mmmmm echeveria, opuntia, delosperma,agaves etc CAN survive in your location BUT only in a milder winters and without getting too wet. They are never going to be dead certs to get through winter but some will. The opuntia imbricata that I have posted a photo of will get through the worst of winters pretty much ok so that's a good starting point. A bit of experimentation will be needed and I would urge you to think of using rain shelters for more borderline succulents.

I have got echeverias through winters only by keeping them bone dry. The same goes for agaves.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

If you have a south facing wall, one possibility (depending on budget and how keen you are!), it so fit a canopy like this:

Or the ones with supports down to the ground:

It's a DIY job and keeps the rain off, whilst letting light to an arid bed below. I had one when I lived in Swindon, and because the bulk of the winter rain never fell on the cactus garden, I could grow all sorts of agaves, aloes, cacti etc without too much bother and sit amongst the bed of desert plants. It was great. Most cacti and succulents don't grow much tall than 5 feet, so the roof over them will never be a problem height wise.

http://www.fascias.com/contents/en-uk/d ... opies.html
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I like these but think I would opt for a conservatory on the back of the house instead.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I like these but think I would opt for a conservatory on the back of the house instead.
A conservatory costs thousands, these canopies about £600 (DIY fit) if you shop around online.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Do they need planning permission?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Do they need planning permission?
No, but neither do most conservatories.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

When my neighbours built a conservatory they had to get planning permission. Might depend on your local authority.
kata

Post by kata »

Thats a very nice job Mike, and garden too.

Conservatory; A neighbour had one put in where I lived before.

The housing departments planning department were never away when it was being installed, due to the drainage, they took some satisfying. They eventually passed it.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Conifers wrote:When my neighbours built a conservatory they had to get planning permission. Might depend on your local authority.
The rules all changed in 2008.

Please note, planning permission for conservatories has been revised from 1st October 2008.

From 1 October 2008 adding a conservatory to your home will be considered to be permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

More than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres including ground floor.
Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey; no cladding of the exterior; no side extensions.
Where work is proposed to a listed building, listed building consent may be required.
dgroberts

Post by dgroberts »

Thanks again for the advice. I'm only thinking of a small area ( 3m X 1m raised bed ) so I wouldn't go to the expense of a canopy ( but they look great ), I suppose a corrugated plastic sheet would do the trick and allow me more options for plants. If I went down this route what plants would you recommend? I'm going to put in a few sempervivums, jovibarba, sedum, so I am only talking about a few more plants to fill the bed.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

For a small bed a large sheet of polycarbonate sheeting and a few large bamboo canes might do the trick of keeping it dry.

I'd try:

aloe striatula
agave montana and parryi
a load of echevaria (just the cheapest ones)
a selection of opuntia

I've found all those to be pretty tough if dry.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hello dgroberts,how about this? a raised bed :?: to what ever size you want it to be, but then build a cold frame over the top of the bed, that way your be 100% it would stay dry, and then fleece your plants on the inside to keep the frost off and then in the spring when all risk of frost has gone, simply lift the whole cold frame off?:lol: just an idea.what ya think :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
dgroberts

Post by dgroberts »

Good ideas. Thanks for the advice.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

Echevaria rosea is one of the hardiest.

Agaves: striata, filifera, . x nigra,. parryi huachucensis. lophantha

You can mix up the succulents with a couple of the hardy yuccas for that "desert" effect.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

Aloe aristata is probably the hardiest aloe it survives most winters here in Essex and pups can be taken of and potted on for insurance it does not like a cold wet crown though this will cause it to rot, better to plant it at an angle.