plants for my beach

philip kitts

plants for my beach

Post by philip kitts »

I have created a beach of silver sand and Cotswold limestone chippings . I want to create a dune against the groin wood I have delosperma , Hottentot and phormium ,yucca rostrata aloe striatula and aristata and crassula arborescens aswell as some stonecrops .
What would you add .?
GoggleboxUK

Re: plants for my beach

Post by GoggleboxUK »

A bar!

:lol:
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

GoggleboxUK wrote:A bar!

:lol:
Ha ha I'm working on that drunken_smilie1 hammock will be up by June . I will eventually convert the outside loo into a bar( brings a whole new meaning to getting piffed) lol
kata

Post by kata »

lmaooooooo Phillipe :lol: :lol:

A pool

Whoo I love the begundy Sronecrops.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

In all seriousness, what kind of things are you thinking of planting? There are some fantastic looking (and relatively cheap) sedge grasses that would suit a beach, especially on the dunes.

I suppose it all depends on the look you're after, an Australian beach is very different from a Mediterranean but both could look very exotic.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

I was thinking more Mediterranean it sweeps up onto the patio( I really need to upload some photos ). I have a bottlebrush and a washy on the beach and a hebe and yucca next to a large butia where it merges into the jungle area I have lots of big plants but not much to fill the gaps and add flowering intrest
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Asteriscus would look good but would need overwintering
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Agave americana if your temps are not too cold. Need to be about 3 to 4 feet tall to take -8C. Also excellent to look at as a pot planted plant, Agave attenuata, but only hardy to about +3C.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by philip kitts »

I'm in Cornwall now aquiring little bits and pieces a echium piniana from Eden I'm like a kid at Xmas down here lol
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Sounds great i want to get down to eden this year, im dying to see it icon_cheers Be sure to upload some pics of your beach! :D
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Are you saying your garden is actually a beach or you have created a fake beach in your garden?
dino

Post by dino »

Aint life a beach :lol:
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

MikeC wrote:Are you saying your garden is actually a beach or you have created a fake beach in your garden?
It's a fake beach but within sight of the sea if you stretch your neck.
so the climate and environment are the same , if a little bit more sheltered . I used to live on the sea front,so I had collected a lot of Coastal friendly plants now I live on top of the hill above the beach. My babies need a home!!
smurnan

Post by smurnan »

Hi Phil,

agave salmiana ferox, ovatifolia or maybe a montana should go well. personally I have found the ovatifolias the toughest of the lot over last winter. Also I find ovatifolia to be a relatively quick grower for an agave.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

smurnan wrote:Hi Phil,

agave salmiana ferox, ovatifolia or maybe a montana should go well. personally I have found the ovatifolias the toughest of the lot over last winter. Also I find ovatifolia to be a relatively quick grower for an agave.
Great choices I ve never heard of ovatifolia ,I will look it up