Hardiness Help

The Codfather

Re: Hardiness Help

Post by The Codfather »

and then do you take it down in the summer ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
paul h

Post by paul h »

No I don't its to large about 40 feet x 24 feet and attached to the main greenhouse.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

its a shame really....as they are all palnted in there and not seen in the garden.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Codfather wrote:Is that a extra large frame\cover over your garden ???? and yes....Hijacking my thread.... :lol: tbh that welsh builder started it........ icon_rambo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SHUT IT :lol: :lol:

Its a cracker Paul. Thx for the pic. icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

have you finished now.... :lol:
AKA - Martin

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That Macrozamia is an absolute stunner!

I'd love one of these, how do you keep it protected over winter?

I've found a 1m tall one for just over £200 (or 2m for £1500 :shock: ) but it's a lot to pay out if I can't keep it over wintered properly.
paul h

Post by paul h »

its a shame really....as they are all palnted in there and not seen in the garden.
I totally agree but I have lost a lot of larger plants over the years and this way I can enjoy them all year round plus many are now to big to move arround,given the low's here its seems to be the only way.I did want a removable roof tbh but with the wind it was never going to be practicle :cry: .
I'd love one of these, how do you keep it protected over winter?

Tbh I don't its just indoors with little or no heat It might stand a chance outdoors as it will take -7 okay or possibley more but at those prices I would not care to chance it and they are just to big / heavy to move about.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Paul, I think Google was referring to the macrozamia moorei....and that will not do -7.
AKA - Martin

paul h

Post by paul h »

Paul, I think Google was referring to the macrozamia moorei....and that will not do -7.
I would have to disagree indoors they definately will there are 3 max/min thermometers in that section that showed mins off -7 /-8 in the winter,the photo was taken today and the plant in question has shown no damage and is still pushing out fonds.I will admit that its not small maybe that is the reason :?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think Cycad hardiness temps need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Several seem to be much hardier than first thought if kept dry and protected when it gets really cold.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

What do feed your macro with Paul, if anything. As of yet i haven't given any to mine, relying only the new compost mix when i repotted it last year. Now it's pushing out well, i was wondering if i should.
paul h

Post by paul h »

Hi Arlon it is planted but it get's a couple of scoops of Westland feed all slow release plant food as do all my palms /cycads.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

here we go again...... icon_rambo :lol:
AKA - Martin