Ideas for my surplus Semp's

greenlad09

Ideas for my surplus Semp's

Post by greenlad09 »

Hi all,

I have a few hundred Sempervivums hanging around (don't ask, get carried away sometimes lol) and was wondering what I could do with them. icon_scratch

I've heard of people growing them on tree fern, and I've got an old dead one... has anyone tried this, got any pics? :><: Also what about two hanging baskets stuck together with maybe some wire mesh? Anyone tried any of these or anythin else? All ideas welcome... :)

Cheers,
S
Petefree

Re: Ideas for my surplus Semp's

Post by Petefree »

Hi Steven,
I've not tried the two hanging baskets wired together thing - though have seen it done in TV progs to produce a sphere filled with compost and sphagnum moss and Sempervivum planted in - it looked pretty effective.
I have grown them in hanging baskets though, and they work really well with the bonus they are much more drought tolerant than most planted baskets, which is really useful against a hot wall.
I used to have some planted in those holes through house bricks too (again something I saw on Gardener's World years ago) and that also looks good and enables them to be placed on patios, etc. If you but a load of the planted bricks up against each other they form a neat edge.
Pete
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Greenlad a project to think about might be a green roof for a shed or similar, apparently semps are good for this purpose and are supposed to ward off evil spirits, witches, lightening etc :lol:
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

greenlad09

Post by greenlad09 »

I do have some in bricks with the holes in, and I've just made a "Semp Tower" from a dead tree fern trunk. I'm also going to try out the two hanging baskets idea, I'll post up pics of the progress. icon_thumleft

Anyone else tryed anythin or got pics of their Semps and what they have done with them. icon_scratch
greenlad09

Post by greenlad09 »

gdudey wrote:A sempervivum car perhaps?

http://www.gardenstew.com/about19897.html
Woww... very impressive. 8)