Agave/succulent soil mix

maritimesbob

Agave/succulent soil mix

Post by maritimesbob »

My Americana are growing very well in our garden, they appears to like our quick draining soil so I'm happy with them being out in the ground. They have almost doubled in size since I planted them out in late March of this year.

I have recently picked up some more tender succulents that I would rather put under glass during the winter months. I think some large window type boxes would be perfect, with two to a box, would be easy to take indoors once the frost arrives.

Question is what soil mix would folks recommend? I have a 120l bag of multi-purpose soil and a large bag of sharp sand, plus plenty perlite. Some sites recommend a 50/50 mix of soil and sand, but from my understanding too much sharp sand would make the soil claggy and very heavy with little air?

One a similar subject, do people bother feeding Agaves during the summer months and if yes, what kind of fert?
redsquirrel

Re: Agave/succulent soil mix

Post by redsquirrel »

ours have a dose of high nitrogen feed in late may/june but wouldnt feed now.dont want any soft growth before winter.as for your mix,with what you have there,try thirds of each,wont go far wrong icon_thumleft the perlite will keep it quite light for a year or so
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Red is your man on this one

I use a similar mix for my aeoniums and agaves

John Innes 3
Grit.... Not grit sand
Perlite
A bit of multi purpose sometimes
Ratio of 40 to 50 : 25: 25: respectively

I tend to use scoops as a measure. I've got a nice handy one from a garden centre.
I use JI because it hold nutrients better given the mix is free draining and re wets easier given you keep things drier than normal. Ever tried watering mp when it's dry??? Impossible
The grit keeps it open as does the perlite. Together you get best of both worlds without excessive weight. I font want my staging or shelves collapsing in the greenhouse

After a while you'll mix it and get a feel for it and it will feel nice in your hands
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Thanks guys. What size grit should I use?
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

a standard bag of grit from the garden center , sold in 25kg i think, its about 5mm ish.... lovely stuff it is ..

sold as horticutural grit, usually on a pallet outside, watch it when you put in the car, often full of dirty water, which stains..... :wink: :wink:
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Know all about stains. I picked up some manure a few months ago, Mrs MaritimesBob still hasn't recovered from the ordeal!

Thanks, B&Q this afternoon then.
call

Post by call »

jhon innes, grit, mp compost and a sprinkle of sand
you cant go wrong :D :D :D